flat tow - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

flat tow

Hi

Can someone remind me what years CJ/YJ (or which tranny/x-case) you have to pull the driveshaft to flat tow?

Thanks!
Patrick

why yes, yes i am a moron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 PM

I can't say for sure, because there have been several folks on the board say that they've towed a particular transfer case all over the country, and others say that their buddy towed one 75 miles and ruined it.

After reading posts on the subject for several years I've concluded that that with a Dana 18 or 20 or 300 put the TC in neutral, the transmission in gear or park, and go. Anything else is controversial so if you have very far to go you're probably best off pulling the rear drive shaft, and the front if it doesn't have unlocking hubs.

But we'll get plenty of opinions. This was just discussed a couple of weeks ago. Look back in the old post list.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm gonna concur with Jim. Dana 18, 20, 300 you can tow in neutral...but I wouldn't. They have a possibility of dropping into gear...Unlikely but possible. Any NP transfer case (YJ=NP231), you really have to. The neutral is not a real stop on the shift lever. Either way, pulling the shaft(s) is your best bet.

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Old Hand

Well i still have the Book for my 88 YJ if a YJ is what your talking about. Ok the Owners Manual says Neutral tcase Neutral trans

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50

Last edited by mach2_nh; 10-04-2007 at 07:42 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Official Historian

I'll disagree on the dana 300... you'll be taking a chance with it. The dana 18 and 20 are fine (in neutral and front hubs locked) since the gears will turn and keep the bearings lubricated. The dana 300 uses sliding collars instead of sliding gears and when flat towing it, the collars will turn but not the gears. You might get away with it and you might not.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
Any NP transfer case (YJ=NP231), you really have to. The neutral is not a real stop on the shift lever. Either way, pulling the shaft(s) is your best bet.
What I yanked my TJ over 1000 miles and didn't have a problem,....is this some old wives tale, or one of those I knew a guy that knew a guy that knew a guy that knew a guy that had a t-case drop into gear?

"Every time I see someone on a bicycle
I fear less for the future of the human race."
H.G. Wells
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Dana 300, pull the shafts.

NP231, T-case in N, tranny in 1st (or park).

If you leave the transmission in neutral, you run the risk of burning out the transmission output shaft bearing, which does not get lubricated when the tranny isn't driven. The output shaft can potentially turn if left in neutral.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dana 300: Tranny and Diff in neutral. Every 300 miles start the engine and run in 1st w/ the clutch engaged and TC in neutral. Per the owners manual.

Otherwise If you don't want to stop, drop the DS, get warn full-floaters, or fab some paddles off the rear output shaft.

That is a known Fact with D300's, no Lube from rear shaft only. I seem to remember the front shaft doesn't do anything either.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorjeep View Post
Dana 300: Tranny and Diff in neutral. Every 300 miles start the engine and run in 1st w/ the clutch engaged and TC in neutral. Per the owners manual.

Otherwise If you don't want to stop, drop the DS, get warn full-floaters, or fab some paddles off the rear output shaft.

That is a known Fact with D300's, no Lube from rear shaft only. I seem to remember the front shaft doesn't do anything either.
I had the full floater conversion in the back of my CJ. Don't do it. The hubs can't handle being on the primary drive axle. I blew up so many of those things. Once it took out my Detroit, too. Way easier to just pull the shafts and not have to worry about it.

On the NP231, it has a true neutral, and the oil pump is connected to the output shaft of the T-case, so it stays lubed very well.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Full floaters work just fine for me, just BE VERY CAREFUL with Lockers or LS! You have to lift on tire to get them to lock.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode