Anyone swap a 78 f150 front into a tj? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone swap a 78 f150 front into a tj?

I just picked up a 78 f150 leaf spring front and am contemplating putting in the tj. The drop is correct and while a little wide, with the right rims would only be about 3 inches wider than stock. I would copy the bracket locations off of the stock axle. anyone see any downside or have any advice? Probably go 8.8 0r 9" in the rear.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

this guy did it with a YJ.

Jeep Wrangler YJ Front Axle Swap - Reverse Cut Dana 44

except he shortened it so he could use grand waggy shafts.

my original concern was that the axle wouldnt be proportioned right (i.e. if you put the differential where it needed to go, one wheel would stick out more than the other) but the article above seems to indicate that they cut the same amount off each side....so must not be the case.

if you can live with the width i cant think of anything wrong with a reverse cut D40

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I read that one last night. Preliminary measurements indicate that the axle is proportional side to side. I however need to take better measurements to get me within an inch. I will lay one in front of the other tomorow and see what they look like.

I am thinking about getting the RE bracket kit. I like the truss Idea for getting the top link right. Or just go ahead and order the truss for the lift i want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

I did it, but I used the stock Ford Radius Arms.

Here's the write up: Support Groups for Jeepaholics - Project Jonco continues...

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Read that one too, very inginuitive. I though the conversion was well thought out and interesting. How does it travel and what were your final opinions of it? The version I want to use is leaf spring, so I would not have to deal with the cast in parts you did.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

It is a fairly easy swap into a YJ. If I had to guess, I would say it would be even easier in a TJ. I love the full width axles in my jeep. Sometimes it gets a little tight on trails, but the gain in stability is a great trade off. Finding the correct width rear is easy. Just look for a full width 8.8 (or 9 inch) from a full size truck.
I wonder how close the brackets on a dodge dana 44 are the jeep dana 30 brackets.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Read that one too, very inginuitive. I though the conversion was well thought out and interesting. How does it travel and what were your final opinions of it? The version I want to use is leaf spring, so I would not have to deal with the cast in parts you did.
I love the full width. I found a matching full width D44 out of a mid 70's F100 for the rear and dropped my gears and locker right in.

It took a few months of wheeling it to dial it in, but now that it's done, it's awesome. I also converted to sprung-over leafs in the rear, so I had to deal with axle wrap. A Sam's Offroad HD traction Bar did the trick.

By far it is the best thing I ever did to my Jeep.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Jeff,

Do it and don't even look back. You will love the HP 44. I love mine, keeps the front drive shaft away from the rocks. I have heard the Clayton Off-road bracket kit is better than the RE kit. I don't know this first hand but the guys on the JU board sure vouch for it.

You will have to ream out your pitman arm to accept the larger rod end, but besides the brackets thats about it.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Old Hand

if your going to run Full and do all that work why not just run a 60?

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Mostly because I cannot find a front 60 around here for the money I want to spend but secondly because I think they are way overated for the cost and type of wheeling I do. The 44 front hp will be plenty for me and that 9" rear is arguably as strong as the 60 depending on who is arguing . I have a rear 60 sitting in the shop. After sitting it next to the 9" the biggest diffrence I see is size. If I can get the strength in a smaller lighter more compact package I think I should take it. Repair parts are much cheaper on the 9".

As for the front 44 It is mine so I am going to put it in. I was looking at the clayton brackets but at 450.00 they better be some fine brackets... I will be using their hard arm kit as a basis for my build,,, so to have their brackets would be good....

I was thinking about a set from rough stuff theirs are made of 3/8 material. That is plenty thick. They are much cheaper than rubicon or any of the others.

This will likely all go in at the same time, lift, front, rear, new or adjusted driveshafts, sye, and high steer, no sense in converting over if I cannot highsteer.

The gearing I am thinking about is in the 5.89 range. that is as low as I can go with the 44. With the 4 cyl that should make for some nice crawl.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode