Painting Axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Painting Axles

OK help me along here. I am putting some d44's under my wrangler and I want to paint the axles before I put them under the Jeep. Here is my question. What type of paint should I use. Basically I want to spray paint the things cause I live in an apt. and I don't have any fancy tools so that would be the easiest. Is this ok or should I really go all out and paint them right with a professional spray gun and all the jazz??

absolutjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Painting Axles

What I would use (and have used) for axles and wheels is appliance epoxy paint. Rustoleum makes a good one, takes a couple days to cure completely, but when it's done you can practically hit it with a hammer. And, its only a few bucks a can.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks!!! Rustoleum it is!!!

absolutjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I vote for Rustoleum too! I looks good and it lasts, and besides unless you are changing your oil you won't see it.
Ethan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:01 PM

i also vote for "Rustoleum", it's the only thing i use. with anything you paint no matter what type of paint you choose, preperation is almost everything, i clean and also use some type of rust converter usually, the other important thing i've found is paint on a warm clear day, (never cold rainy days) last thing many thin coats is much better than a one thick.

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hope that upstate NY cooperates with the weather this sunday...cause I want to get these things under my JEEP!!!

absolutjeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how about POR-15??
I was just wondering because i am planning on painting the axles in the frame shortly.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Note that Brad said EPOXY paint. Rustoleum makes all kinds of paint in a can, but the important thing is to look for epoxy. I hope you aren't planning on painting in the apartment. If you do make sure that you have a lot of good ventilation cause the stuff is nasty!!! Also read the directions on the can before you start because epoxy is a different animal when it comes to second coats, touching up, etc..

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:30 AM
BHT

Hammerite.
You can spray it right over light rust. I used it on my frame and it's holding up well. It's available at most home improvement stores.

BHT
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No DEFINITELY not sprayin in the apt...and I will look today I can't decide now between hammerite or Rustoleum because hammerite would work well on my leaf springs.....

absolutjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode