Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   help with mc2100/2150 (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/226349-help-mc2100-2150-a.html)

onecrazyblackredneck 09-02-2007 08:33 AM

help with mc2100/2150

Okay rebuilt my mc2100 ( actually think it is a 2150 becuae it has the altitude adjuster thing on the back) and I put it on there and ran new fuel lines. I sprayed some starter fluid in there and had my wife crank it while I worked the throttle and it would turn over but as I am watching the fan it would stop for a second then start turning again. I keep having to charge my battery so I am thinking everytime it is about to fire the battery doesnt have enough juice to push it, am I correct or is the starter or solonoid?
My other question is the firing order on this thing was wired up different than the haynes says so I rewired it like the haynes said to, I need a new cap and the cap for the 258 wasnt even close, the cap that was the same was off a preelectric ignition chevy. so it has the wrong distributor and I have an hei on the way, I just wanted to see if it would run with my mc2100 on there. would this affect the starting problem I am having.
Lastly I got a accelerator cable that your supposed to get for this swap but my question is how do you get the existing one out of the firewall?? and on the linkage it is hooked up to another linkage going under the jeep, is this to the tranny? do I leave that linkage alone? THANKS IN ADVANCE, YOULL ARE GREAT :applause:

Rio_Grande 09-02-2007 08:55 AM

This may be a srupid question, but are you sure you have a 258?

Junk Yard Genius 09-02-2007 09:31 AM

If you have good batteries, cables, starter and the thing tries to turn over then stops, you have an ignition problem!

You need to start from the basics and run down/verify everything...
(This isn't as hard as it sounds.)

How To Set A Distributor

And make sure you have the correct firing order this time!

towman_tim 09-02-2007 09:41 AM

Put the can of liquid fire away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
liquid fire is for starting bon fires!!!!!!!!!

the motor should start if the timing is right and the carb is right!!!!

Carb: 2100 MC
Turn the setting scews on the carb out 2 1/2 turns (both of them) this is a great place to start!!!!!!

Tim

onecrazyblackredneck 09-02-2007 11:35 AM

I am thinking I have some timing problems. I am going to wait on my hei to get here and just reset my timing all together and rewire my plugs. then going to buy the mc2100 whole kit and sell my mc2150. there is a guy on ebay selling the whole kit so I think I will be better off this way that way I can charge my battery have new plugs wires distributor timing reset new fresh carb linkage and all that then I can really see what is going on. thanks yall