Spring Over Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spring Over Steering

I'm going to do a SOA and front 44 swap soon and I want to get the spring over steering set up
with this mod. I know TriCounty has a great set up but it's over $1000 and Avalanche Engineering
has a set up for $700. Parts Mike has been unavailable lately and I need to know if there is
anyone else that can do this. I have flat top knuckles and stock cj pitman arm that I want to use,
along with custom length CJ linkage (which is another thing I need to get).

Any 1 else has this set up and any comments on it?

Lee

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spring Over Steering

you can probably get the arms made up to fit the stock linkage much cheaper than that at a fab shop.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

remember steering is not something to skimp on. shopping around is good, but shop wisely as your life depends on it. the kit tri county sells is with new knuckles so you might call them and see if they would drill yours out to save some money. dynatrac also sells high knuckle steering, you might call them. 1-714-898-5228

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

M.O.R.E. at www.mountainoffroad.com has a kit that I just saw on their website. Check it out. Also I am doing a SOA with a D44 front from a Wagoneer and the Wagoneer uses steering on top of the knuckle so you don't need the expensive steering conversion. If you want more info email me.

absolutjeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thx Blackjack,

I'll try dynatrac tomorrow. I don't mean to sound like I'm cutting corners but it seems that many manufacturors
over charge for certain products. $1100 is what I would pay for another jeep not a new steering set up.
I know exactly what I want and realize that I can't machine my own arms on the knuckle but the rest
I can take care of.
Also I saw the MORE set up but it looks like it's for YJ.
I'll try and make some more calls tomorrow and if any1 is interested I'll post my results here.

Lee

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no prob. just wanted to let you knew from experience i have had fixin other steering blunders. top of knuckle steering is a good idea though

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:38 AM

Re: Parts Mike

Try Parts Mike again, he was at the SEMA show all last week. You won't find a better price on the open market.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:42 AM

Different beast, absolut. This conversion puts the linkage back over the top of the springs. The stock Wag and GM setup while being on top of the knuckles, is still hanging down below the springs. For dune running or something without obstacles this probably isn't an issue, but where obstacles are concerned, you don't want your tie-rod to be the first thing that you whack into something.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re:Attn: Jeepskate, others: Spring Over Steering-who\'s parts mike?

Who is Parts Mike and does anyone have contact info for him? Also, I am looking for a cross over type steering (all I really need is arms- I planned to use chromoly tubing and spherical rod ends like my current set up with my pitman set up to use rod ends) that goes over the springs. I've got a Toyota truck now with the Hysteer kit(moves the tie rod above the leaf springs) and am looking for something similar for the full width Dana 44 I am swapping in. Any info. would be appreciated.
Sean
PS. Jeepskate: What is the name and contact info. of the kit you wrote about (that puts the tie rod over the springs) or were you saying I should fab one that accomplishes this? Thanks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:00 PM

Re:Attn: Jeepskate, others: Spring Over Steering-who\'s parts mike?

Just enter PartsMike as a URL and you'll find his forum. Drop him a line there and he'll tell you how to get in touch with him. He sells the arms that you'll need for the hi-steer for $85 apiece and I believe will have them drilled to order for whatever rod end setup you wish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode