More Cowbell! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
T88w/35s

More Cowbell!

I am looking for a good site for bolt on engine performance enhancers for a 2.5. I don't want to give up the weight advantage by swapping to a larger 4.0, but with 35's hiway travel is quit the challenge and full of wishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

een there done that. I am sorry to report to you that the 2.5 can't be enhanced much. In the end it is not worth it but if you must,,,,,,
Open up the intake by putting a 4.0 throtle body on it, bump the timing up with an adjustable CCPS, adjustable maps help some, bigger air filter with a air tube and cold air intake, Chips are a waste of money. Open the exaust with a borla header and exaust system, then if you really want to spend money and get nowhere get a longer duration cam, bigger injectors and a hotter ignition. ALL that done and you might end up with a 20 hp gain. It simply is not worth it. The best seat of the pants feel a diffrence mod I did was the 4.0 tb You can tell a diffrence, but the funny thing is when I clean my tb now,I feel like I get about the same boost!

The end is it is a 2.5 no matter what you do it will still be a 2.5,,, Don't waste your money like I did.....

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 PM

The only mod for the 2.5 that I have hear is worth anything would be a supercharger. Easier to install than a 4.0 swap and it does have a cool factor to it. Probably would be cheaper to buy a new jeep and sell yours for a premium to somebody who falls in love with it (like you did, right?). Just add up Rio's summary of worthless parts:

Throttle body $100
Chip $ 200
Header $200
Exhaust $150
Cam $150
Cold air intake $200

Equals a whole lotta money with very little usable power, most of these will give you more power @ 3000rpm or probably more like 4500rpm, where you will not get to enjoy it. Either regear very low, or supercharge, or sell and start with the 4.0L. If you regear you can always add the ARB's too!!

Last edited by MontanaJeep; 07-27-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode