Tree Trunk Protector and D Shackle Hook Up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Hybrid Jeep

Tree Trunk Protector and D Shackle Hook Up

Hi All-

Just had the Warn 9.5ti Winch installed on my Jeep Wrangler. I just had a question about how to hook up the Tree Trunk Protector strap and the D Shackle.

Do I wrap the strap around the tree, and hook the ends on the "D" portion of the D Shackle.. then my tow hook from the winch goes on the "pin"? Or do I put the straps on the "D" potion and the tow hook from the winch on the "D" portion as well?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"D" holds straps, Pin holds Hook.

NEVER hold both Strap and hook on D. (by that, I mean I've seen where people have set it up with it rotated 90" where it's pulling on the top and bottom of the "D" so to speak).

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i always did it so the tree saver strap was on the Pin....and the hook was somewhere on the D. either way works.

heres a nice picture of what a tree saver did to a tree......

so much for the saving part :-\

when winching, dont forget to put a weight (heavy jacket or otherwise) over the line. it could save you from getting hurt in the event of a cable failure.

also, might want to consider a snatch block / pulley so you can do direction changes on your cable......or you can double over the cable back to the jeep if you are really stuck.

have you taken you new jeep on any mild trails yet?

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Old Hand

by the looks of that pic the tree was being pulled over by the winch and the strap started to ride up the tree pulling the bark off. If a better tree was used that would not happen.

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yea, thats kinda what happened....but it was the only tree we could use.....

we had the tree saver around it, and a pulley on that tree to make a 90 degree bend so Jim_lou could pull me out from dry land

the cable pulled me straight back, while jim's jeep was pointed perpendicular-ish to mine off the camera to the right.

Dale and Knifeboy-Nick assess the situation (Ed is off camera to the left):

-----------
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Hybrid Jeep

Thanks for the replies guys!

Can you explain the operation of the Snatch Block? I've seen pictures of the Snatch Block itself, but can't figure out how to hook it up.

I just want to make sure that I have some idea what I'm doing before I put myself and possibly others in danger while using my winch!!

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

You can use a snatch block to redirect the pull. For example, you can't get behind the Hummer you want to rescue so you attach the block to a tree behind it and run the cable through it to the Hummer.

You can also use it to double the pull strength. You can't pull hard enough to rescue the Hummer, so you put the snatch block on the back of the Hummer and run the cable through it and back to the tree you're using to anchor the Jeep.

That last is important. If you run the cable back to the Jeep you're also doubling the amount of pull through the Jeep. A strong enough winch and a few snatch blocks and you can pull the Jeep in two. Ask me how I know. When you bring the cable back to the anchor point you're only putting the winch pull into the Jeep frame.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
...... Ask me how I know.
ok...How do you know, Jim ?

Mike,
I think theres a website online that shows proper winch useage...include how to use a snatch block like that........ i'll look when i get home from work, but if i cant find it, i can prolly draw you some purdy diagrams with MS paint

-----------
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM

About five years ago I was pulling stumps with a triple sheave setup. The snatch blocks were chained to the snow plow frame and the drawbar was chained to a locust tree. I darn near pulled the back of the frame off. When I heard the popping and stopped the drawbar was pulled down and back about a foot and the frame rails were pulled together a couple of inches and twisted about five degrees.

I posted a full report on the damage and repairs when it happened, but it must be too old for the search function.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 07-27-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode