Fuel system question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Fuel system question

In the process of installing my fuel cell and I have a question????

Almost all of the write-up I've found use the stock fuel pump in the install. I went with a smaller cell to keep the weight down and want to use an E2000 external pump. I believe the stock pump assembly has the regulator built into itso I need a regulator. Am I correct, if so does anyone have a recommendation on one???

If I am even going to make RedBird this weekend I need to this done quick.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 PM

The actual regulation of pressure in a fuel injection system is not at the pump. Its in the fuel systems bypass of excess pressure to the return line. As long as the pump is capable of sufficient pressure and volume you are good. The pressure they quote for pumps is either a max, a safe operating pressure, or a cutoff pressure (not reached except if there is a malfunction). I could be wrong here, but aren't E2000 pumps typically used on conversions to TBI, which operate at much lower pressure than multi port systems? Can the E2000 deliver the pressure you need?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 AM

There is no return line on the TJ.

The fuel filter regulator unit is the silver thing on top of the tank that the fuel line connects to. When the pressure exceeds the set value (339 kPa +/- 34 kPa (49.2 psi +/- 2 psi)) the bypass valve opens and fuel drops straight back down into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The E2000 said it would generate 80 to 95psi which should be enough pressure. I thought the TJ operated at 35psi is it actually 45psi??. Well I guess the answer is yes I will need the regulator. The fuel rail does not have any return as Johnny Jeep explained on the TJ.

Does anyone have any good recommendations???

Thanks

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

there is not return on the TJ?

Where does the fuel from the Bypass go?

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
There is no return line on the TJ.

The fuel filter regulator unit is the silver thing on top of the tank that the fuel line connects to. When the pressure exceeds the set value (339 kPa +/- 34 kPa (49.2 psi +/- 2 psi)) the bypass valve opens and fuel drops straight back down into the tank.
Whoops. Sorry then. Thanks for the correction and explanation.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Journeyman

MB, the return is right there at the tank like Johnny said.

Kentucky, The E2000 should work fine. I am using one on my OBD1 system. I think the E2182 or 62.. is the same thing but has barbed fittings rather then the ferd quick connects.

You could also use the E2000 on a TBI, as long as the return line is large enough the regulator will keep the pressure down to the right pressure.

The rest of this is just a guess, someone must have figured this out already.

Can you use the stock return on the cell? Do you know if pressure is changed, i.e. OBD1 use manifold vacuum reference to change the pressure. I am not sure what the your TJ does.

If you can't adapt the stock return maybe you can use an older fuel rail and run a return line. Again, making sure the injectors get the pressure they need (39 in obd1 vs 45, vacuum referenced vs. ?? constant/computer controlled ??).

or maybe you could use an after market regulator and just put it after the pump, but the ones I have seen are vacuum referenced.

Brian

84 CJ7 HO head, MegaSquirt, T18/D300
88 S10 Ext Cab 4.3 Auto (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode