Ideas for a rear cage on a TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Ideas for a rear cage on a TJ

I know that there has been alot of discussion on cages but...I went in today to get an bid for a spreader bar for the back of my tj. I ran into an issue. A streight bar cannot be used because it interfears with the back passengers head! So bending and adding gussets are required. Even then the back spreader bar is just abouve the seatbelt attachments, and it HIGHLY possable for the rear passenger to still hit the bar...Any other Ideas out there? Also wouldnt that be a little to low (not that there is any other places to put it?!?) I cannot afford to remove the stock and have a full custom cage put in. And I feel that the stock bar IF added to would be more than enough for my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

can you have a spreader bent so it sits more to the rear of the jeep....

kinda like this:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature...s/fad734dc.jpg

not a good picture, but that kinda what i was thinking....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Way Outta Control

How 'bout adding a bar between the rear bars slightly above the rear seat back. Have it bent so it goes back almost to the tailgate to keep it away from the seat back. That adds lots of strength. Doing that forms a box - the lower mount on the body and your new crossbar and the uprights. The only problem then is when you are loading stuff in the back you whack your nose on it!
Too high and the rear passengers might hit it.

Then, if you still feel uncomfortable with just that, add straight cross bars overhead as high as possible - from just forward of the rear corners to the center of the loop behind the driver's seat.

Recently we helped recover a stock TJ that rolled down a steep rocky hill - about 15 rolls through huge rocks! And it was still way up on the hill - not easy to get to.

I was really impressed at how well the stock cage held up. Of course it bent badly, but it did not collapse like I expected it to. The driver only got a good gash in his head and a headache.

The entire cage was bent about 18" to the side, but it held - including the rear portion. Even the windshield support held - tweaked badly, but it supported the front enough to save him.

But - he may have just been real lucky too.

Enhancing a cage is always a good thing - hopefully you never get to test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I got tp looking at it and if I bend the bar 4-6" and then accross I can keep it fairly high in the corners and still have head room. However I mesured that with a folding rule and not a full tube so I may still be full of it. I was told that it would cost between 75-100 to have it done (tube and labor, with trusses and unpainted). That didnt seem to bad.

I agree that the person may have gotten lucky, but the stock bar SEEMS pretty stout, just need to improve. But then when I get hit by the tractor trailer at 150mph or roll end over end down Lions Back then all bets are off!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Way Outta Control

Lions back? No problem, it's closed now. But the tractor trailer - even if the cage held, the sudden stop and direction reversal would get you.

It can only do so much.

If that's installed it sounds reasonable.

About 4 feet of tube @ $3.00/foot, 2 bends and 2 fishmouths. 1/2 hr making it, another 1/2 hr welding it in.

When they do it, make sure you have whatever top you use on it. Not fun to find out later the top "almost but not quite fits."

Unless someone is really tall in the back seat they usually have room above their head under the top.

Seems like I've seen pre-made bars that go across the back corners - some weld-in, some bolt-in.
Check OR FAB, Poison Spyder etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode