Transfer Case problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Transfer Case problems

I am working on a 1995 Jeep Grand cherokee right now that has a Transfer case problem. I am working on this Jeep with a buddy of mine who is going to race it in a Jamboree Tough truck race in about two weeks. This Jeep is in tough shape, and this tough truck race will be it's last go around. When the race is over it will be headed to the junk yard.

The problem with the X-case is that it is wicked old and the chain is stretched out, and it skips.

I don't think that there is time to pull apart the case and replace the chain.

I am wondering if anyone has any tricks, that might allow us to get some tension in the chain.
My buddy and I sat under the jeep for a while last night brainstorming, but nothing really seemed like a "good" Idea.

Does anyone have any Ideas for getting one last run out of a wasted transfer case?

If you do I would be interested.

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I figured I would include the best Idea my buddy and I cam up with yesterday, maybe someone with more experence with the NP 2xx series transfer cases could tell me for sure it will never work, or maybe suggest somthing that might work better.

(most of my x-case experence is in D300, and NP205's Until last night I had never been up close and personal with a chain drive case.

Our Idea was to cut an access panel in the back of the transfer case near the middle. (this panel would be JB welded back in place when we were done)

Through this opening we were thinking of sliding "Somthing" in between the bottom of the case and the chain, to lift the chain a bit and take out some of the slack. I was thinking I could use a short length of tube in there. The best Idea we could come up with for keeping the tube where we want it was to use ether JB weld, or some other type of sticky material. (maybe try and drill tap, bolt it. (Wish the case was made of steel so we could just weld it) Then we figure we seal up the case as best we can, overfill the transfer case with lube, and hope for the best.

If it blows up, it blows up... no big deal since it is headed to the junkyard after the race anyway...

Anyone else have any good "hack" ideas....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 AM

How about the teflon drive chain tensioner from a harley primary chain, they are very similar.

Ask any bike shop and they will explain and show you parts...
Once you see one, you will understand how they work.

Once you know what it looks like, you can make your own for short duration usage out of hard wood, HDPE or aluminum so it's cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Veteran

Do you have a chain or can you get one localy? Not hard to pull the case, split it and swap in another chain.

Or is it that you don't have a chain?

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I like the idea of going to the bike dealer. There is actually a new dealer in my area with a huge show room. It opend about 2 months ago and I have been looking for an excuess to get in there. Maybe I will go this afternoon after work.

I had thought about getting a new chain, but I don't really want to spend any money on this thing, so I had put replacing the chain totally out of my mind. However yesterday my buddy who I am working on this jeep with showed up at my door with an NP321 out of a YJ he got for nothing. The one he has is missing some parts but it does have a good chain in it. If I had more time I would replace the chain, but I am not sure I have enough days to tear the case apart. I think that the best I can do is to get 2 more days to work on this jeep, and I still need to do a few clean up items.

If I am going to do anything with the case I think I only have time for a hack. On the upside... I do have a spare 231 chain now.

Thanks for the Ideas.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Way Outta Control

I guess I don't understand why you've got time to jury-rig it, but not enough time to do it right? IMHO, it wouldn't be that much different to install the chain (hopefully not stretched) than open the case install an idler/tensioner and reseal the case.

But.. I'm willing to learn!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Leve,
As you always do... You make a good point.

This project that my buddy and I have taken on of getting this Jeep ready for this race is intended to do two things. Be fun, and allow us to dispose of this Jeep when the race is over. (If you have a vehical with a title (we do) the junk yard will buy what ever is left of it from you when the race is over, and they will load it on their trailer free of charge)

I have a lot of other fun and exciting things going on in my life right now, so I am not willing to be under this Jeep for the next week solid. As I said I only see myself spending one to two more days on this.

Right now the case works in 2wd. We can drive the Jeep around, and we can race. But it would be much more desirable to have 4wd.

If I open up the case and attempt to change the chain I run the risk of somthing going wrong, or not 100% the way it should (this seems to be the norm for me when I work on anything that says jeep on it, and there is a deadline) If that happens and I have the case open and I am unable to get it back together before the race I have two issues on my hands. 1) I won't get to be a part of this race, and I think it is going to be a ton of fun. 2) Now I am stuck with Jeep in my shop that has a totally useless transfer case. A Jeep that I (we, my buddy and I ) was hopping to dispose of to the Junkyard. (and take our $100 from them for scrap and have some more fun with it)

My main objective is to make sure this jeep makes it to the start line. if I cut an access hole in the back of the transfer case and try somthing... even if it doesn't work... I can take everything out, seal up the hole, and run the jeep in 2wd.

I figure a somewhat busted Transfer case in 2wd, is much better than a totally busted Transfer case and no wheel drive.

I don't know how much sence that does or does not make, but that is my reasoning behind my plan.

If I had more time, or if the intent was to use this jeep again after this race, I would fix the transfer case the right way. No question about that.

In this situation I feel like I am making the correct call for the maximization of fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode