tailgate ? 1990 wrangler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Novice

tailgate ? 1990 wrangler

i cant figure out how to get the lock out of my tailgate
I bought it with no key i took it to a locksmith but he couldnt get it open he said to remove the lock and bring it in but i cant get to all the bolts to remove the cover to get to the lock can anyone help me? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Got a photo? The only locks I am aware of on those years is a lugnut with a key. If that is what it is weld a nut to the top of it and throw it away when you get it off. If you really want to keep it then go by the dealership and they can sell you a overpriced key. I remove them all the time with a lock removal tool. They are expensive You drive it onto the outside and take a impact to it, but I remove around a set or two of the locks a week with no keys so it was a reasonable investment for me.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Not many options here. You might be able to remove the screws that you can get to and use a pair of needle nosed vice grips to loosen the screws on the side of the cover enough to be able to get access rods inside without bending the cover up too bad. (I think there are only two screws on the side of the cover.) If you can get to it, now you will have to disconnect the rod from the lock cylinder and push it up or down to unlock the latch. If that does not work, next I would put as large of a flat blade screw driver into the key opening as I could get in and attempt to force it to turn. Just don't get too crazy or you might damage the hole in the tailgate that the tumbler fits in. If that fails, the next step is to drill out the center of the lock tumbler. I would guess a 3/8 or maybe a 1/2" drill bit would do it. The idea here is open the key side up enough to get the pins to fall out of the tumbler. I don't know if you will be able to remove the tailgate hinges and turn the tailgate to gain access to the mount bolts for the bracket on the drivers fender that the latch grabs on to. If it is possible, the bracket will come off with the tailgate and you could access the cover bolts.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Novice

thanks for the replys

i drilled the lock center out
it still wont open
i ran outta time to mess with it
i will try to drill it out further later on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode