narrow tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

narrow tires

I'm on a mission to find a set of tires. The problem is I know what I want but can't quite find them. I'd like a set of 33x9.50 mud tires. BFG makes this size in an All terrain but apparently no longer or never did make them in a Mud Terrain. Interco offers Super Swampers in both a 32x9.50 and 34x9.50 but not in a 33". I've been all over the web and can't seem to find one. Does anyone have an idea or am I going to have to settle/compromise a little? I want to keep my stock rims and hubcaps on my Commando and the rim is a 15x6, even the 9.50 width is probably pushing it a little. Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:41 PM

I have a set of BFG AT in 31x10.5 and I'm just crazy about them!
Best quality, wearing, and all purpose tires I've used to date.

Sure beats that last set of Thunderbirds!
Couldn't wait to trade those useless things off!

You may have to settle for a shorter tire if you want 9.5"......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

I run Buckshot Mudders in a 275/85R15 and have for some time. They tape out pretty close to 9.5 x 33. (Well, the tread is 9.5.) Here is a review:

Maxxis Buckshot Mudder Reviews

Kriss

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got a 1in body lift for this reason. I couldn't get 33 9.50 so I got a 1 inch bod lift and will toss it in to raise things a bit but I found with the LTB's the diffrence between 33 and 34 was closer to 3/4 inch than 1 inch. I want to say actual diamiter is 33.80

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I could have sworn Buckshot had a set of narrows, but according to their tire chart, what I'm looking for would require me to go to a 16" rim, it doesn't look like they make the narrow one for a 15 anymore. I stopped by a local BFG Dealer and looked at the AT up close, it's a nice looking tire. I'm just worried that our "mud" will clog them. With a rear locker and winch I should be alright in all but the most extreme cases. I have a set of rims laying around from one my old CJ-7's, I just might do the two sets of tire thing. Besides, I'd hate to loose or dent one of my Jeepster hubcaps!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Definately don't dent or lose those Jeepster hubcaps!! Those are hard to find. I went with 33x9.5's for the same reason and you don't have to lift the Jeepster to fit them, unless your springs are really sagging. I like them except in deep snow, alittle more floatation would be nice. They are on the stock rims and hold a bead really well. I have had them down to 3 PSI accidentally on some sidehills and they held the bead and worked better than ever in the snow. Mine are muds, so yes they used to make them. If you are daily driving this the LTB's may wear too quickly but I think that the 34" would be a great tire, remember to have them siped for the winter and snow!

Also you may need to buy some wheel spacers for the front to gain back some turning radius. The larger diameter and no additional offset equals lots of rubbing on the springs and much needed adjustment to the steering stops.

Last edited by MontanaJeep; 07-23-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: additional info
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not really on topic...and a slight topic high jack.....

But i just found some original style wheels for my willys and they have some almost new firestone town and country tires mounted on them.

its going to be super sweet to have some original sized pizza cutters instead of the 4 bald mismatched tires.

good luck with your searching

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM

That is one item I liked about having the skinnies mounted to stock wheels. People with untrain eyes or at a glance think it's stock, and I scare other people who wheel behind me! They always think I am going to roll, and I don't have the slightest hint of that feeling. I thing they are just so used to the wider axles and tires that a narrow track jeep with tall(ish) skinny tires freaks them out!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM

I really like the tall narrow tires. They steer really well and the vehicle has much more directional stability. Too bad they don't make 33x9.5 M/t's anymore as you say. What about Goodyear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode