Fuel filter or fuel pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Fuel filter or fuel pump?

Yesterday was my first Tow home in the 16 years that I have owned her. A 1991 yj 4.0L. She started shaking really bad and then quit at a set of lights. I was in the left turning lane and started her up again and made it across the intersection...but just. It sounded like she couldn't get enough fuel. Pedal to the floor and no go faster. She quit and I was able to steer her over to the right turning lane of the opposite traffic. So everyone coming around the corner had to go around me. She would turn over, so I figured it wasn't electrical but it wouldn't "catch". Tried starting it for a good 10 minutes and figured I would be just flooding it at that point.
Phoned for a tow truck and was told there would be a 3 hour wait b/c of the floods we had the night before. ( Jet boat and canoes going up and down roads).
Got her home and parked in the garage. I figured if it was just a dirty fuel filter that the stuff should fall to the bottom and she would start up. She did start but didn't turn over right away and she sounded like she was winding up after she was started. She had that whole body shaking thing going on again. The whole jeep shook.

Question: Does this sound more like a fuel filter or fuel pump? Fuel filter has never been changed in 16 years so I'm sending my Dad to pick one up for me today when he goes to town. Can't hurt to have a new filter after all this time. I've always run the "good stuff" high octane fuel in her and never had a problem fuel wise.

Your wise and experienced words would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Way Outta Control

Flooding?

Did you go through any high water?

I'm thinking water spraying up in the engine compartment, for what ever reason. It would be like hosing down the TPS Sensor and wondering why the engine ain't running smooth.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
Flooding?

Did you go through any high water?

I'm thinking water spraying up in the engine compartment, for what ever reason. It would be like hosing down the TPS Sensor and wondering why the engine ain't running smooth.
The flooding was in town. I live out of town. The water was gone by the time I got to town yesterday. My jeep wasn't near water. I only mentioned there was flooding due to the 3 hour wait for the tow truck..........Forget I mentioned the flooding...Please. Sorry I brought it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Is it the fuel filter? I'd doubt it.

Then the first thing I'd do is use Rrich's Propane trick to see if it smooths out. Then if it does you know it's fuel related.

At that point I'd drop the fuel tank, and remove the sender assembly and get a new one, or source the pump as a seperate item. IIRC, the sender assembly holds the pump and the filter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A bad filter will usually let you idle ok and have partial throttle...it's when you start to load the engine and it starts to starve for fuel....

My vote is fuel pump....on the fuel rail is a plug that looks like the valve steam on your tire. Take the cap off and push the pin...gas should blast out if you have proper pressure...if it just 'burps'...then it's most likely the pump.

For what it's worth, your description of how the problem started match the same symptoms I had when my fuel pumps went out.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Sawdust

I agree sounds like a fuel pump. In line fuel filters don' t get clogged too often, at least on pumped gas. Don't know your engine, why are you using High test gas???? This could be some of the problem, ( burnt valeves, pistons )
If the problem is water put some rubbing alcohol in the tank about 1/2
a bottle and wate about 30min. and try to start it.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

Has the strainer on the fuel pump ever been changed. Probably not even the pump if it hasn't.... If the strainer gets clogged up, they tend to suck up into the pump and then you need a new pump!!!!!! I feel for you if you have to drop that tank. I don't know what it is about fuel tanks but I hate them. It allways seems like the pumps go out when you have a full tank of gas!!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Way Outta Control

While you have the filter off - or disconnect the fuel line somewhere - cycle the key on and off. You should get a flood of fuel if it's NOT the pump or fuel related.

If fuel comes out with any sort of volume - suspect ignition. Check for a good spark.
A bad coil wire or bad coil can easily do those symptoms.

But you have to determine fuel or ignition before you go on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Old Hand

Are you sure it has gas in it?? I had mine towed once after symptoms similar to yours only to find out it was out of gas.
That was the first time the fuel gauge got stuck on a 1/4 tank.

Proud member of the Delaware Jeep Association

Last edited by Skellator; 07-20-2007 at 06:25 AM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 06:41 AM

The description of violent shaking leads me to think it's a secondary ignition problem that's knocked out two or three cylinders. Distributor cap or rotor would be my prime suspects.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode