D44 vs. Rubi D44 vs. D30 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

D44 vs. Rubi D44 vs. D30

This conversation started in another thread, a rather informative one. So I wanted to carry on the conversation in a new thread. It is my understanding that the Rubi D44 shares everything out past the axle tubes with the D30. Outer stub shafts, unit bearing, inner and outer "C" and brakes.

We were trying to find what parts of a Rubi D44 are the same as a standard TJ/YJ D30. As far as I can tell, the internals of the TJ D30 and the YJ D30 (post 1995) are the same except for the 2 part passenger side (vacuume disconnect) axle on the YJ D30. My YJ D30 (1988) has all TJ shafts in it with the larger 5750x or 297x ujoints (available on the 95 YJ).

This picture is of an original 88YJ outer/stub shaft It had a 260x joint in it.

Hope this helps RRich...I have a Unitbearing around here somewhere too...I'll try to dig it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087meas.JPG (39.9 KB, 0 views)

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

There is a difference between early and later unit bearings. The wheel mounting surface is lower on the later YJ/TJ ones ('92 or -3 and newer have the newer style bearings). The brakes are different, too.

Rubi 44's share all of the external features of the TJ Dana 30, including axle tubes, knuckles, c's, CA mounts, track bar, etc.

The stubs are the same as well, since both the later model D30's and Rubi D44's use 760X u-joints.

As far as I can tell, the Rubi 44 is just a 44 center section with D30 stuff pressed into it. Other than the inner axle shafts and carrier and gears, etc., everything is identical to a TJ axle.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Way Outta Control

OK - good. Thanks for starting this thread - the other one was very informative and hopefully more good ideas will be introduced there too.

The bearing surface is the same dia -
The spline length is the same too.

The dust boot as you call it - a little different. Mine has a dia of 1 13/16 - It looks the same - bet you read it wrong?

So the outer axle is truly a D-30, but the inner axle is much heavier. That would mean the C's and the hubs are probably D-30's too - as per all the rumors.

I wonder why the part numbers for the brake pads were different - maybe it's just the "It's a ruby, charge more" syndrome.

Wondering about the tubes now - more than likely they are same as D-30's. But, I've welded on D-30's before, and I've welded on the Ruby 44's too.
It "seemed" like the Ruby's were thicker - but it may have just been my impression. Obviously I wasn't trying to blow through, trying to hit that "almost, but not quite" for penetration.

If they are as thin as the D-30's - obviously they need some trussing and protection. Been thinking about that anyway.

One thing for sure - the brackets Jeep welded onto the axle tubes - front and rear - are waaaay too weak stock. They need lots of help! Re-welds, gussetts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyg View Post
There is a difference between early and later unit bearings. The wheel mounting surface is lower on the later YJ/TJ ones ('92 or -3 and newer have the newer style bearings).
Tell me more about this...I'm running 88 unitbearings with 95 stubs shafts. What do you mean by "The wheel mounting surface is lower on the later YJ/TJ ones"? Lower?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Way Outta Control

Now it's getting worse. A friend was here tonite - he ordered a stub shaft for the Rubi - they gave him one for a 30 - he said it was a puny little thing.

And - he did his brake pads, he verified the Rubi's are different. I'll ask a good parts house tomorrow for part numbers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
Tell me more about this...I'm running 88 unitbearings with 95 stubs shafts. What do you mean by "The wheel mounting surface is lower on the later YJ/TJ ones"? Lower?
I have pics on my PC at home. The mounting flange is thicker on the older unit bearings, which effectively changes the mounting point. It's not much, but it made using the older bearings on newer Jeeps unworkable because of the brakes. As far as I can tell, the stubs fit them all.

It was a surprise to us, also. Until I had the issue, I assumed they were all the same, and in fact used to carry a YJ unit bearing as a spare.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Gotcha. Must be a TJ thing...I've got a 95 housing in the yard that the unitbearing was the same as my 88. No issue getting the brakes on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode