Soft Bushings for Stiff Springs... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Soft Bushings for Stiff Springs...

I've got a CJ out here with STIFF springs on it!
I'd like to use soft 'Rubber' bushings so the ride softens up a little, but I'm having a real time finding stock type Quality 'rubber' bushings...

Urethane is stiff and squeaks like crazy, and I have the choice of other durometers but they are stiff.
I'm looking for something softer... (and preferably not from china!)

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Go to a local spring shop with dimensions. They often stock a variety of rubber shock eye bushings.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping to get kit with all in one place rather than order them one set at a time...
Or dig through bins.

I'm just looking for the stock type soft rubber bushings rather than the urithane stuff every one has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Way Outta Control

Trouble is you said "preferably not made in China" - is anything NOT made in China now?

Seems like if it isn't made there, it's from India.
I'm sure getting tired of their junk!

How 'bout just removing the #2 or #3 leaf?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Removing leaves from this set may be a problem...
I'll look into it.

Since most rubber is mostly/fully synthetic now, a lot of it is made right here in the US.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Way Outta Control

If you're goting to the trouble of pokin' around inside the spring pack.. you might as well sanblast - prep - and paint 'em up with Slip-plate and use some Delran pads beteen the spring leafs.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Way Outta Control

I just remembered a little trick I saw a spring guy doing to "soften a ride without affecting load ability."

He used a grinder on the ends of the leaves - he cut a very slight taper on the upper ends of each leaf back about 1".
The cut made the very end of the leaf not quite touch the next one above it - by maybe 1/8" space at the tip and back about 1". It effectively made that leaf shorter when assembled and "normal" weight was on it. During normal driving it allowed the leaf above it to flex more, resulting in a softer ride.
But as soon as weight was applied - or a jounce - the end touched, making it effectively longer, and it became stiffer - back to normal.

He said it works on springs that have a decent arch. I never tried it, but he swore it worked great.

I have Chev 4x4 PU that the PO put super stiff, super arched springs on to lift it. It bounced so much you could hardly stay in the seat on a smooth paved road!
I took out 2 leaves (#2 & 4) in the rear and 1 (#2) in the front - - it really helped the ride - but still not comfortable.

I hate that truck - I just use it to haul stuff to the dump. The only thing I like about it is I keep getting nice offers for it - maybe someday somebody will actually have money when they make those nice offers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Might get hooked on the trail, but I've always wondered what would happen if you flatten out the bottom leaf so that it only made contact when the springs were compressed enough. You could also simply shorten the bottom leaf, or bottom two. They cut easily with a chop or bandsaw.

I still say go to a spring shop. A real one, the kind that makes custom springs. We have one here in town (Neuls Springs, for those in Winnipeg), that had bins with just about every sort of rubber bushing you could want.

I have Rancho lift springs. Miserable stiff. Its nothing to do with the shocks, RS9000's confirm that. The front end isn't so bad, but the rear end feels like it fell off a cliff when it goes over a dropoff of any kind in the road. Bang.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Nearest real spring shop is 2+ hours away...

I like the idea of tapering the ends of the springs...
That has some merit.
Also, maybe spacing the first spring so it doesn't make contact with the rest of the spring pack until pretty much fully loaded...

Both of these things go against my grain...
If I'm going to spend that much time, I should just put it on air bags and get it over with....

This thing is miserable stiff too... Rear acts like a buckboard and the front has a V-8 so it isn't as miserable, but it's bad.
Expansion joints in the roads around here will rattle your teeth, and you don't even want to know what a 4" rock will do to you on the trail, so I have to do something, (Anything!) to soften it up some!

Last edited by Junk Yard Genius; 07-17-2007 at 02:24 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
I have to do something, (Anything!) to soften it up some!
...Just an rememberance of days gone by when I owned a mid 80's Mitsubishi Montero.

It had a driver's seat that was the most comfortable I've ever had... They were spring and shock mounted and you could adjust the tension. They were GREAT. I've often thought about putting one in the CJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode