Beadlocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Beadlocks

I am getting a new set of tires for the jeep and while upgrading I have noticed that my stealies are in Rough shape. I wanted to use them as doners for a set of bead locks but am not sure if I can pound the bead area back into shape enough to get the rings on them.

So I am contemplating 1 of two options.

1 buying 4 new stealies and a weld on set of locks and go to it.

OR

2 Mounting the tires on some prudy aluminums that I got from Tim when he upgraded.

My questions are what experiences have you had with the weld on beadlocks and are they really necessary.

I have lost about 3 beads in the last 10 years, but they have all been in the last 2 years when I started wheeling it harder.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Old Hand

I'd skip the aluminums, can't straighten them if and or when they bend.

Proud member of the Delaware Jeep Association
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think you should go with the purdy ones, you can never have enough beauty in your life....

Meanwhile, beat your steelies back in shape, weld on some beadlocks, and have a set of trail tires on them. Leave the aluminum for the street tires. You should have eough room Jeff!

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
I have lost about 3 beads in the last 10 years, but they have all been in the last 2 years when I started wheeling it harder.
IMHO, this is the crux of the problem. I also wouldn't use aluminum for the reasons mentioned.

Jeff, are YOU going to do the welding/install of the rim locks, or are you going to have someone else do the job?

It only take a couple of blown beads and having the rims destroy the sidewalls to pay for those locks.

Also, we haven't even talked about problems associated with the tires slipping on the rims while you're wheeling.

IMHO.. and it is just that as I don't own rim locks... I would install them as the wheeling becomes more aggressive. They'll pay for themselves. And the best part of this upgrade... if it's done right, you'll never know just when they've paid for themselves.

The only downside I can think of...is that it does complicate mounting/dismounting tires with hand tools. Hopefully you won't need to do this on the trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Journeyman

Beadlock and never look back; CJ used to lose a bead alot,now [steel] and never a worry. TJ on aluminum [for weight], never a problem with them either.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM

New tires? Beadlocks?

Someone got a raise!

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Nope a pay cut actually,,, I work for the state remember!!!

I went back to selling scrap and then was forced into it when I cut the sidewall out of my last spare 32.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was blowing a couple beads a month so I welded beadlocks on my steel wheels.
afterward I could no longer drive the jeep on the street because the balance was so bad I'd get death wobble. I had champion, eaton, and rock crusher beadlocks as well and none of them balanced for crap.
I think that the aluminum wheels resist bending easier than the steelies, but I am running steel right now beacause I am so cheap.
If I were doing it, I'd put staun beadlocks in the aluminum wheels.
I am back to blowing a couple beads a month, and last month I tore a hole in one of the $300 krawlers... just like Leve said, it doesn't take long for them to make sence. I pounded the wheel straight, but it's still a junk wheel now.

I want to buy the stauns myself, but I want to go with a 17" wheel. that leaves me with the lovely prospect of buying wheels, tires, and beadlocks all at once....ow.......
my 4 year old krawlers might have to make it another season.

It's not what you have. It's what you do with what you have
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Old Hand

I've got aluminum TR beadlocks as you know Jeff and you've seen the "chunk" missing on the inside of my passenger side rim, I'd get steel if I had to do it over.

One more thing I think you should consider before buying $1,000 worth of beadlock rims. You have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern right now, how long before you swap axles and possibly bolt patterns? This bolt pattern is going to severely limit your future axle choices. (Dana 30/ Ford 8.8)
Good luck,
Aaron.

"4 squirrels runnin' on boggers...and they're angry!!!"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Way Outta Control

The nice thing about aluminum you don't need to carry a hammer. It breaks long before it bends much.

Plus - the inside of the aluminum girly wheels is slick - it lets the tire spin on the rim, ruining the balance.

Steel, roughen up the beads with a grinder, make it rust right where the tire sits - muriatic acid and water - then use lots of bead sealer when mounting.
Balance with tape-on weights both inside and out. The taped weights don't get knocked off so easy as the others.

Called "poor man's beadlocks."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode