a new welding? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

a new welding?

I ask earler about mig welding info and got a lot of info. But if went that way all can aford is one from like walmart about $150.00 or so. What about Oxy-acetylene welding? Seems to be a lot less money. Can someone tell me about Oxy-Acetylene welding? Versus a cheep mig? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Oxyacetylene welding is a very good method, probably the most versatile of all methods, requiring a fair bit of skill and practice. Because you control the heat independently of the addition of filler metal, you have a great deal of control. Very much like TIG. Its fairly practical for welding of sheet metal and tubing. You can also do cutting of steel with it. Its also very handy for a source of heat to loosen fasteners, bend metal, heat treat, shrink metal. You can braze as well, using a bronze filler. Its the first method I learned, and I learned by taking a course at the local technical college. You typically lease tanks. Cost around $40 to fill the oxygen bottle, $50 for the acetylene. If your not doing any cutting, you use around 2 oxygens for every acetylene. It all of course depends on the bottle sizes.

I bought all used equipment. Old airco stuff from a welding repair shop. Works very well. I've heard but not experienced there are problems with some cheap regulators. The settings may creep and alter the mix. That would be annoying.

Mig has advantages of convenience and speed of welding. If you are too slow at oxyacetylene and apply too much heat, you will distort sheet metal. Mig lays down more pounds per hour at a lower cost, so its cost effective in todays world.

In the old days it ruled. It was portable, and you could do everything with one setup, weld, braze, heat, cut, solder, apply lead, even weld aluminum and cast iron. Warning, if you get one, everyone you know will want to borrow it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

So oxy-acetylene set might be a better use of $150.00 than to by a cheap mig right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 PM

I hate to say it, but its going to cost you more than $150.00 to get started. You might pay something for the yearly lease of the bottles ($50.00) plus having them both filled ($90.00), buy some welding rod ($20.00) and have nothing left to buy the oxyacetylene rig with.

The absolute cheapest form of welding is with a stick welder. You buy an AC only 220v machine for say $50-$75.00 used, a conventional helmet, some 6011 (digs lots, good on less prepped metals, easy to work with overhead), 6013 (fills rapidly, low penetration, lots of slag) and 7018AC (best overall) rods and you are ready to start learning. But, this isn't a setup for welding sheet metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode