Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Was you ever bit by a dead bee? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/225611-you-ever-bit-dead-bee.html)

CJ7Taz 07-06-2007 09:11 PM

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?

The granddaughter and I went to Wendy’s drive thru then came home to eat on the patio before we went to the pool. I crank up the umbrella on the table for some shade and see a wasp’s nest under it. I run her back inside, roll up a newspaper and knock the nest down. A few wasps are swarming so we eat inside then put on our suits and go to the pool.

The granddaughter is jumping in off the side when I see a dead bug floating nearby. I go to use the back of my hand to push the bug toward the skimmer so the granddaughter doesn’t swallow it when she jumps in. Just as my hand gets close to the bug, I notice it’s a wasp and IT AIN’T DEAD. Got me but not bad because I immediately pulled my hand underwater and he let go. First thing I think of is Walter Brennan.

Jim_Lou 07-07-2007 06:34 AM

Why does that make you think of Walter Brennan?

Booger 07-07-2007 07:00 AM

Mornin Walter,

Nope, sounds like that one wasn't deceased yet and yes they still retain some reflex action in their tail end until they are officially considered "DEAD". Whats up with the rolled up newspaper and knockin the nest down, they don't have wasp and hornet killer in the stores where you live? I use brake clean on em, kills em "DEAD" and evaporates, doesn't leave a petrol based mess afterwards and its cheaper, I get all my supplies for FREE. Well I hope you learned something Walter, Bee's/Wasp's can still bite in water. Have a peachy day.

Booger

LEVE 07-07-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Why does that make you think of Walter Brennan?
Quote:

Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?…You know, you got to be careful of dead bees if you’re goin’ around barefooted, ’cause if you step on them they can sting you just as bad as if they was alive, especially if they was kind of mad when they got killed. I bet I been bit a hundred times that way.
Walter Brennan as “Eddie” in To Have and Have Not

CJ7Taz 07-07-2007 12:28 PM

RRich 07-07-2007 01:41 PM

Bees, wasps, etc., like diodes, the stripe indicates which end is which.

thorjeep 07-07-2007 02:08 PM

Yea Rich, I bet you wish one of your ends had a stripe, it would make your life easier.

Why don't you just knock it off.

John_Strenk 07-08-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRich (Post 1509326)
Bees, wasps, etc., like diodes, the stripe indicates which end is which.

Darn it I thought it was resistance bands.

CJ7Taz 07-09-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius (Post 1509419)
First off, bees don't 'Bite', they sting.
Secondly, 'Dead' anything doesn't bite.

Hey, I ain’t messin’ with a classic.
You got LEVE on ignore too?

Jim_Lou 07-09-2007 02:04 PM

All of you, KNOCK IT OFF!

I know who started it and he's been reprimanded. If it starts up again I'm handing out suspensions.

Yes, I'm a cranky old schoolmarm, but I'm going to keep a willow switch handy! :mad: