Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Death Wobble - Steering Box. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/225610-death-wobble-steering-box.html)

thorjeep 07-06-2007 08:47 PM

Death Wobble - Steering Box.

Been doing some research for a buddy with a '91 Yj with 35'' a SOA, D44 9" rear.

2 Mos ago he started to get death wobble if he hits a bump at 45mph, no curb damage not going off road, etc. He replaced his steering box, 2 weeks ago problem went away for 3 days then became worse than before. The original one was a Cherokee Junk Yard find, second was also Cherokee junk yard find.

He is going to have his balance checked, and alignment as well.

Question, could it just be the steering box? What are your experiences as far as the chances of a bad junk yard steering box?

JeepDawg 07-06-2007 09:30 PM

DW can be caused by a lot of reasons....

1. Tire Balance
2. Bad Shocks
3. Loose steering components
4. A really messed up front end
5. Bad tires.
6. Loose track bar
7. Etc

One of the first things to look at is "Did he change anything prior to the DW showing up?"

I have never had it....even on the Cherokee with it's 4.5" lift....and I don't even have the steering stabilizer shock on my CJ...drives like a dream on the fwy....

First thing to do....get underneath the front end and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth....you would be amazed at what you can see while this is happening. If anything is loose, yo will see it.

Next....rotate the tires.

Hank 07-07-2007 10:58 AM

DW ideas

I put a waggy D44 undre my YJ w/SOA. I rebuilt the whole thing - ball joints, tre's, bearings, tie rod, drag link. 36" iroks on 15X8 beadlocks with only 2" of backspacing made for a crappy drive. Loads of wobble. Tire powder helped a bunch - so did adjusting the tow in a bit. Full air pressure helped a bit too. Now the problem is almost not there.

With 35" radials on wheels with 3.5" backspacing - no wobble.

Based on information here - I tried wheel spacers on the iroks. With one inch of backspacing - it was worse. I chalk mine up to improper scrub radius and crappy tire balance.

LEVE 07-07-2007 11:21 AM

With a lift, check the camber... you may have to adjust it.