TJ Auto to 6 speed Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

TJ Auto to 6 speed Swap

Well, this past weekend a bunch of my normal wheeling group went to Attica and I couldn't make it.

Well JR a few of you probably remember him from the Bash, Haspin, and Redbird. Just pick-up a fairly new TJ with 36" Iroks, etc, etc.

He decided to take it through a mud hole that Mike and I had to double winch a 1/2 ton Ford on 40" TSL using 4 winch blocks last time we were there.
That pretty much ended his day when the auto tranny pan looked like Daytona Beach on the inside.

Rather than swapping in a rebuilt auto or having his rebuilt we knew a guy parting out a newer Jeep with the 6 speed manual and we talked him into that swap. We did the swap in about 6 hours tonight for right at $900. I didn't think that was bad since the rebuild would be at least $1000 on the auto. Now we told him he can play in the mud with the rest of us.

The CPS was realy our only issue because they were different but 30 min. and 1 new bracket later all was good.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Details,,, Details,,, Inquiring minds want to know....

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Here are the Details Jeff.

JR ruined his auto in his new to him 2001 TJ. One of our friends was parting out a 2005 TJ with the 6 speed manual.

So rather than spending $1400 on the auto he had lined up he bought the 6 speed, with the pedal assembly, slave cylinder, etc from the 2005.

We pulled the auto, swapped in the manual not a big deal, adjusted all the linkage for the x-fer case, built new tranny mount, modified tranny shifter. Shortened the rear drive line 2", the front was still okay. Installed the clutch assembly, then set- out to install the CPS but they were different from the 2001 auto to the 2005 manual. So we made a bracket but when we tried to fire the engine the nex day it was a no go!!!!!!

So crap, did a little more research and found AA made a retrofit to move the CPS from the flywheel to the Harmonic balancer, so great we ordered one $280. Well we moved the CPS extended the wires and tried to fire the Jeep, but still no fire. I did a little search on the internet and found a guy who had done the CPS modification and found that the AA directions were not correct on the wiring. We rewired the CPS and she fired right up.

So to sum it up 2 days of works and JR now has a 6 speed manual in his 2001TJ for $1200 rather than a rebuilt auto for $1400.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!

Last edited by KentuckyCrawler; 07-11-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

sweet!

people bring up similar swaps and most people discount it as being too complicated to be worth the trouble.

from your experience now, do you think the 200$ savings was worth it for the manual?

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Manual would be worth $400 more!

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Greg,

I believe it was worth it but it wasn't my $$$$. I like autos but I believe with his set-up it was sort lived anyways.

I can tell you this, I would like to swap a NV4500 or NV5600 in my Dodge dually when the auto lets go(very close to it also) and I would have been very leary about trying taht swap before I helped with this on. Now I am very seriously thinking about iit.

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode