Engine/Trans/Axle swap - Or how to go broke twice over. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Engine/Trans/Axle swap - Or how to go broke twice over.

Fortune smiles upon the fool, I'm sure.

For a half-crazed wrench wielding howler monkey like myself, it's certain that fortune does not always mean "Good" fortune, in fact, it usually means I'll SPEND a fortune.

Last year, I was intent on putting a 304 with a T-150 and dana 20 T-case... I may as well have been setting my paychecks on fire with the amount of machine work it was going to take to get back up and running. Yaynothanks!

So yeah, the project got put on hold pending a miracle windfall... you know, a rich uncle I've never heard of or seen in my life has me in his will and has a greater net worth than J.P. Morgan... Yeah... that ain't happening...

Well, a miracle of sorts happened anyways. A friend of mine who would rather hit the trails with me than without me donated a nice little toy to me last week, a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo, in pretty good condition. My eyes roved from the almost shiny, almost new, and almost free Grand Cherokee to my husk of a CJ...

Before I could come to my senses we had the harness, engine, transmission, T-case, fuse box, transmission controller, and the entire shifter console layed out on the still warm concrete behind my garage and a wrecker on it's way to dispose of the carcass. I am told it looked like a hunter gutting a deer except there was slightly less blood and the guts went clank occasionally.

I know, wouldn't it have made more sense to lift the Grand Cherokee, slap some 33's on it and go rolling in the mud? Don't look at me, this was his idea... he was just gonna junk it.

Today, I'm in the middle of adding ZJ wiring to the engine compartment of a CJ-7, and watching one of my friends screw around with the front yoke on the NP242, he's in the middle of asking about the differences between the D-300 I have on the garage floor and the NP242 when it dawns on me...

I'm thinking about gearing, he's talking about yoke locations.

So, upon further analysis... Engine swap good, Transmission swap good, Transfer case swap DEFINATELY good... Axle swap? Uhhh... Yeah... I'll get back to you on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode