Axle swap thought process... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Axle swap thought process...

Hi

It's been discussed lots lately...here's my story...

I have an 85 CJ7 with stock axles and 2.73 gearing on 33" tires...I'm also the proud new owner of a set of stock axles out of a 79 Full size bronco (Ford 9" and Dana 44 I believe...). I may at some point go to 35" tires but not any larger...and will probably lock up the rear...perhaps both...at some point in time...

Thought one...
Swap both FS axles in...save regearing for later...not sure what they are geared at but it's got to be better than my 2.73...get new rims to tuck the tires under a bit...

My concern...how wide is the jeep now going to be and will it limit some of the benefits of being a Jeep vs a full size vehicle...

Thought two...
Shorten the 9" to fit the rear and keep the stock Jeep axle up front...regear both to 4.56 when doing this...sell the front axle out of the bronco...

My worry...the front axle will fail at some point...

Thought 3...
Sell both bronco axles...get one piece shafts for the AMC 20 and regear to 4.56 at the same time...

My worry...AMC20 still not as tuff with 1 piece shafts and will fail if locked with 35's...

Your thoughts?
Pros and cons to each "thought?"
Cost analysis to each "thought?"
General words of wisdom with this project...

Thanks!
Patrick

why yes, yes i am a moron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

First, the Ford front "drops" on the wrong side for your CJ. Ford uses a driver's side drop. The front output from you Jeep t-case is on the passsenger side. You would have to adapt or change transfer cases just to get a drive shaft to bolt up.

I am running Scout axles (D44s). These aren't much stronger than the Jeep axles I replaced, but they are wider. I am able to stay fairly clean on the trail, and street legal using six inch extended flares. You will not with the FS axles.

The axle build up depends on what you want to do with your Jeep. If you are more of a finesse driver with an occasional romp on the skinny pedal, I would vote option 3. There are plenty of guys running 35" tires on D30 and model 20 axles. Do the one piecers and get your gearing right. Getting the gearing right will help keep breakage down.

If you really want to gain a lot of strength, narrow the nine inch for the rear and find the correct drop front axle, some waggy's will be good donors. Keep in the mind the nine inch has a rather low pinion, I've heard guys who run a lot of rocks complain about this, otherwise, the axle would be VERY stout.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Sell the Ford 44 front and find a Chevy/Jeep (Wagoneer/cherokee/J-series) front. Keep the 9" it's super strong for a small axle and it'll easily handle the 35's... And if you go with the full size axles the 6" flares should be alright and keep you legal... Most states have a certain distance from the flares that a tire can stick out... (3" from the edge of the flares).. Check with your local laws/regs. 44's are pretty common in junk-yards... cheap, around $250...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode