Fuel Cell Placement Question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Fuel Cell Placement Question?

I am just about to purchase a fuel cell. RCI 2161A (15 gallon). The cell dimensions are L x W x H (30" x 9" x 12"). I am ordering one with just the filler and a roller over vent valve because I am going to install my stock TJ fuel pump.

Right now I run my OBA tank where the back seat usually is. I can remove the tank very easily to install my back seat to take the wife and kids for a ride.

Could someone with their back seat in their TJ measure from the back of the rear seat to the tailgate latch assembly at about the height of the top of the fender well? I want to make sure I can still put my back seat in with the 9" wide fuel cell.

When I mount the cell I am was going to lay a 3/4" thick piece of rubber belting the size of the bottom of the tank between the floor and tank then make 2 brackets to use as straps to secure it tight. I figured this would be better than using the 4 small tabs that are welded to the tank. Seems like those would fatigue over time. What does everyone else think?

I am going to take my jeep out for a couple good runs to M/T my 3/4 of a tanks of gas then do the install. Then I will be ready to get my things together to stretch the wheel base during the winter!!!

Brad

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Can anyone help me with a quick measurement???

Thanks,
Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well I went ahead and bought my fuel cell today. I decided not to go with the Aluminum cell from RCI but instead I went with a poly cell from Jeg's. I don't have real good luck with aluminum!

I went with a 10 gallon cell that is L(25") x W(9") x H(12"). I am still going to install my stock fuel pump in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry Brad I totaly missed your post, I will measure whatever you want as soon as I sobur up....... Call mew

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode