Help! Ė Iím in trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Help! Ė Iím in trouble

So I picked the granddaughter up a day early and we went to Power Play yesterday. When she got in the car, she found a piece of yellow string, put it on her finger and was pretending it was Sherman, a worm from the episode of Polka Palace Party of Backyardigans.

Well, she tells me that the string is too long to be Sherman and that we need to cut it in half. At this point, I open my big mouth ask her if she knew there were some worms that if you cut in half, they would grow into two worms.

Now, Iím in trouble. She wants to find a worm she can cut in half and, in her words, ďsee it grow a new face.Ē Iím pretty sure it won't work with just your ďgarden varietyĒ worm. I donít remember what kind it was or where get to one. Iím also afraid she thinks itís gonna grow a face while she watches.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am pretty sure flatworms do, if I remember biology correctly. sometimes you can get them at bait shops.

I just looked it up, the Planarium Family of the flatworms does.Planarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2

Last edited by thorjeep; 06-29-2007 at 05:48 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:51 PM

Definately not the garden variety segmented worm (annelids). Its has a front and a back end, multiple hearts, etc and cannot become two independent organisms after being dissected, even if you do see both halves crawl off. Both halfs may even die. Some worms, like tapeworms (cestodes), (were part of the grouping of flatworms called platyhelminthie (sp)) are much simpler and repetitive organisms, and each segment is capable of living independently. They can reproduced both sexually and assexually. Doubt she'd want a pet tapeworm. That's about all I can remember from invertebrate zoology, a course I took back in '83. Whatever it is, its got to be a very simple organism. Many organisms can regenerate lost parts, but that assumes enough of it survives to do so. Most organisms have bilateral symetry, but you'd need one that has no specialization at either end. Reminds of the joke about the guy that lost his entire left hand side in a car accident, don't worry, he's all right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM

I think that garden variety worms can grow a new end. IIRC the part with the band can regenerate the rest, but the part without the band is a goner. When severed it will thrash around attracting the predator so that the rest can escape.

I think that it's flatworms that can be cut in two and both pieces will live long and prosper, but only if you split them down the middle. Cut a flatworm brain in two and pretty soon you have two flatworm brains, for whatever that's worth. Golly, it's been a long time since I took high school biology.

Starfish can also do that trick. I've heard of clam and oyster fishermen chopping starfish into pieces because they eat bivalves. But that just makes matters worse - every piece can grow into another hungry starfish.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brown Planaria Living Specimen

Here you go Taz, call the local High school and donate the rest.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorjeep View Post
Brown Planaria Living Specimen

Here you go Taz, call the local High school and donate the rest.
Wow, good find. They are tiny though, it says 1/4".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 PM

I had to laugh. I've been in your shoes about opening my mouth and have my daughter throw a curve ball that I've had a problem answering. It's amazing how honest kids keep us.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Wow and who says you can't learn anything from an O/T post. Not trying to get off the subject of the worm but here I am in the middle of the country and the other day I was in town riding my bike getting some( wifes gettin me healthy again) but anyway, in the middle of the street was a dead starfish. My wife told me I was crazy and it wasn't a starfish but I grew up on the west coast and I know what a starfish looks like, even a dead one.... Just thought it was kinda wierd !!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Thanks. I remembered something about a flat worm with a pointed tail but I didnít remember if it was the only one that could do it. I was remembering something about cutting between the stripes on some kind.

That $6.99 ainít bad Thor but then they want another $8 for shipping besides theyíre too small to see, I guess theyíd grow up but I wouldnít know what to feed Ďem. If I want the one with instructions, thatís $49.99 plus the $8 shipping for 30 sets.

I never took biology or botany, I always took chemistry and physics. I probably better do what I told Rich and jyg and stick to what I know.

Yeah, Dog, my granddaughter is always asking questions I canít answer and sheís smarter than hell too, so if I giver her a bad answer, sheíll remember it. I can read her one of those little kidís books with only a few word on each page once and she can recite it back to me the next week, word for word, verbatim. She canít read but she remembers the words that go with each page. Iíd claim she gets that from grandpa but I think sheís got me beat.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Your welcome Taz, you and (someday) your granddaughter are Jeepers too!

Feed them that liver you don't like! I am sure if you get ahold of the local High School biology teacher they would hook you up, it won't hurt to ask.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode