I have a noisy jeep. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I have a noisy jeep.

I don't have a radio in my jeep but planning putting one in. However my son was riding home with me from a game and he had his boom box in the jeep and when I started the jeep all we could hear was a loud popping noise no matter were we tuned on the radio. FM or AM.

I was pulling my jeep out and desided to make some room by moving my car first and noticed the same thing in my Neon. When the jeep is running, all I get is a loud poping noise out any radio nearby.

I was starting to enjoy this on the way home last Monday and notice people hunting for a radio station when I pulled up next to them at a stop light.

While this is all fun an dandy I realy would like a radio in the jeep one day. What could be causing this noise? I'm gonna pull the plug on the alternator to see if that kills it but I don't think I ever heard of an alternator putting out a 25' dead zone for radio interferance. Alternator charges just fine.

The jeep runs fine except when I turn the heater motor is on full. And it's not being on full that kills the engine it's turning it on that kills the engine. If I'm at a higher RPM I can turn the heater on and drop it back to an idle and it's fine. It's only if I turn it on high at idle that kills the engine. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it also?

So if I do fix it, is there some way I can turn on this "Zone of Silence" Next time some "Wump Wump" Honda pulls up next to me?

Last edited by John_Strenk; 06-28-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Way Outta Control

John, that seems like fun... the FCC may be knocking on your door.

My guess... is there's a floating ground somewhere that's acting as an antenna for the noise....

Take a loop of wire and hook it up to that fancy scope of yours and see if you can see any RFI leak powering into the loop....

I'd bet you can. If you do, then just start hunting around the engine compartment till the amplitude goes way up. Then you've found your leak. You may have to detune the loop to stay in the stray RFI range... but heck... what fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Addict

i ran into the same issue way back when on my old malibu, i had decided that those copper plug wires would no doubt give my car NASCAR like performance!! )

of course, all it did was kill my radio reception lmao

i'd look at plugs or plug wires

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Some spark plugs are more RF friendly.
As for the Honda, I vote, if it's not American made, you should be able to legally run over it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Would I tune the attenna for a particular frequency or just loop it? The interferance seems to cove a wide range.

I have standard plug wires off a 4.0 Never looked to see if they were resistive or not. The plugs are Champion truck plugs. Don't remember if they were resistive or not either.

My brother has a HP / Agilent 8560EC Series Spectrum Analyzer. Maybe that would work better. I've used it a little tuning my CB antenna a few years ago. Probably overkill.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Way Outta Control

Just make about 3 loops, 1/2" in diameter and attach it to the leads... that should do it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Strenk View Post
I was starting to enjoy this on the way home last Monday and notice people hunting for a radio station when I pulled up next to them at a stop light.

...So if I do fix it, is there some way I can turn on this "Zone of Silence" Next time some "Wump Wump" Honda pulls up next to me?
OK.. How do I MAKE my Jeeps do this?!!! That's the REAL question!

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalbritton View Post
OK.. How do I MAKE my Jeeps do this?!!! That's the REAL question!

Standard run of the mill CB radio with about a 1000 watt linear hooked up to it. That's what I used to use. I could key the mike and the speakers of any nearby stereo, whether the stereo was on or not, would emit a rather loud and annoying BRRRRRRRRRRRRR until I un-keyed the mike.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Make sure you have Resistor plugs and wires. Used to be spark noise would show up as a buzz/pop noise that changed with rpm's. With the new noise-cancellation technology in modern stereos, they just shut down output totally.

When you do install a stereo, Kenwood Excelon stereos have awesome noise cancellation circuitry at a fair price.

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Way Outta Control

An alternator will make more of a whine noise than ignition noise.

Listen carefully, if it's a loose/bad coil wire it'll be faster than the engine turns, a bad/loose plug wire will be in sync with the engine - slower than the coil wire.

The blower - run a jumper from the blower housing itself to battery (-) - sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Maybe body to engine ground?
Or the killing of the ignition by the blower could be the source of power for both ign and blower - under the dash - key switch? The feed lines to the switch - resistive - and/or the switch itself. A bypass jumper from batt(+) to that point will determine if it's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode