M715 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

M715

I know that there are a few Full Size Jeep fans on this board (myself included) I also know that there are a few M715 owners out there.
I am hopping to get an opinion.

I am currently in the market for a new vehical to serve as my daily driver. I have an old tired grand cherokee now that is no longer safe to drive. I have come across a few vehicals in my price range that I could pick up but no really good finds...

Last week I came across a 68 M715 in my price range in excellent condition. It is a fire truck that was just retired. It has a huge pump (pto) on the front of it, and a large hose coil in the back. The running gear is all origional and it has less than 17,000 miles on it. It has been in the fire house (out of the weather) for the past 30 years. My Idea would be to remove the pump, remove the hose, and use the M715 as my daily driver.

I admit that I don't know much about M715's in stock trim. Am I out of my mind thinking that this will serve as a reliable way to get me to work and back in the winter?

Has anyone here ever daily driven a M715? I am very interested in hearing some advise, and opinions...

Thanks for any help..

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Does anyone know what a stock (ish) M715 would get for fuel milage? That is one thing that could be a deal maker, or breaker....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

m715zone.com
ifsja.com (I think that's right)

The biggest thing would be to change it to a 12V system. The 24V is hard to work on and the coils seem to get hot.

If the price is right don't be scared of it. Those are damn cool rides.

We burn Eprom Chips for throttle body conversions (Email [email protected])
Access our free TBI Conversion Information

C.J.O. Buck Wild Racing
O.G. 'Wreckin Crew'
Degenerate Wheeler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Way Outta Control

IIRC,MPG was between 5 & 7 MPG, and their top speed in stock configuration was about 55mph. I'd think twice unless I swapped out the axles/gearing and installed an automatic transmission and diesel.

Last edited by LEVE; 06-25-2007 at 03:23 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

restore it!

firetrucks are cool as heck!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

My buddy has a 67 and I had the privlage of putting a clutch in it for him. I drove down the road for about 6 miles and I would have to say it is one ruff ride not to mention no power steering. Don't get me wrong, they are fun to drive and Ive been looking for one myself but not for a daily driver. Sometime this week I get to go put one of those HEI distributors in it for him, some how he keeps burning up the points....
I think his has a D70 rear axle and a D60 front closed nuckle but it's sitting on 38's stock so thats cool !!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnGreg View Post
restore it!

firetrucks are cool as heck!

X2!!!!!!!!!!!

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks very much for the feedback. Wow, 5-7 mpg... That is pretty much what I expected, that is not much these days for a daily driver. I have also heard that the top speed was low.. I would call 55 very low. I am thinking that this probably isn't the best choise for a DD. I wish that I had the time, $ and space to pick it up just for fun, but I have my YJ for Fun. I need something that I can use to get me to work and to skiing in the winter. My YJ gets 9 mpg, I am kind of hopping to do a little better than that with what I get next. I am bummed, deals like this don't come along very often, I am just not in the place to buy it right now.
Again thanks for the info.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 AM

First off, you are looking at about 10 mpg to 13 mpg at best.
Even propane conversion will make you take a second mortgage out for fuel.

Second, there is a LOT of running gear under that vehicle.
Divorced transfer case, ect. and all that hardware absorbs energy. All that crap is hard to get parts for now.

Third, As for a daily driver, there is a reason the roads aren't full of 60's & 70's vehicles, they suck to drive.
30 or 40 years of evolution have made vehicles much more civil to drive...

Fourth, I'd jump on a 715 in a heart beat! I love those things! I have two J-20's and they don't hold a candle to the 715's!
I just wouldn't try and make a daily driver out of it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM

I have a few V-8's and that's all that I own... (Almost puts a dent in the wallet)
I have an 2003 Excursion... Lifted 6" (Fabtech) and 35" tires And this "FERD" swallows gas like no other (Of modern gas vehicles)... Did I mention I hate it...
My 82 CJ-7 has a "Built 360" in it (A little over $8000 in parts/machining etc)... She's pushing a little over 400hp and I'd be a lucky "Focker" if I get 4 to 5 mpg... and that's running a minimal of 101 Octane (Needless to say, it doesn't move too much)
I have an 68 Olds 442 with a 425 built for the strip and a 455 for the street... (She stays covered 90% of the time... as I also can't afford to drive her).
Last but Not least My Work Horse... A 1969 IH 1200D 4x4... With a 392 V-8... T98 granny tranny, Divorced NP202... HD FF D60 or D70 (The hubs are massive along with the tubes as-well).
The front is a HD Closed Knuckle Large Ball 44.. 4.10's in the rear and 4.09's in the front.... This pig has duel overloads with a 7' plow on the front etc... Needless to say it's a monster when compared to these newer gas tin/plastic vehicles... I'd be lucky to get around 6-8 mpg with this thing... Even though it only has around 56,000 original miles...
The best part is that this truck starts up quicker than all of my other vehicles..
In all honesty, I've been looking for a Nice 4 door sedan just to go to work and traveling around in.... (A Daily driver)... Something that's good on gas... I need an I-6 or V-6... (4 bangers are out of the question.... If it's not a diesel)... I'm in the market and I have my eyes on a 2004 BMW 525i for $14,500... with only 17,732 miles on it (The vehicle was leased to a Local Bank). This car is supposed to get around 24-28 mpg hwy. (A lot better than my Excursion)
Good times... They need to make trucks that get on the average 25-30 mpg in the city... (What happened to the days when Trucks were $1000's less than cars????)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode