Painting my Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Novice

Painting my Jeep

I had planned on painting my 87 YJ which is about 5 different shades of paint and primer this summer in my garage with a HVLP paint system that I got last year. Also, I have never painted a car before.

I stopped at the body shop supply and he more I answered the counter guys questions about my equipment and facilities the sadder he looked and finally suggested that I just go to Maaco.

Having been ripped off by maaco and it's 6 month lifetime paint jobs, I persisted and found out that the supplies were going to cost around $400.00.

Well, I assumed that the job was going to be nasty looking anyway, so I checked out the Rustolium at Lowe's today. I always heard that an auto finish couldn't be applied over Rustolium, (after researching that, I don't believe it), but there was little chance that I was going to do that anyway.

Doing some searching on the web, I came across a forum like this one for Moporguys that had the worlds longest thread about painting a car with Rustolium and a roller.

The pictures and examples looked great, and after spending the afternoon just trying to get thru 1/2 of it, I'm convinced I'm going to try it. The results look great, and the whole job will cost less than $50.00

This started in Feb 07, so it may have already been posted here and I just missed it, if so I appoligize.

This is the guy that seems to have originated the technique, so look for his posts. "69chargeryeehaa"

Here is the site. moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Tremclad is remarkable paint. Thinned with lacquer thinner and shot out of a gun it produces a real nice gloss. The only downside is that it isn't as hard as a real automotive paint, and therefore scratches easier. Ok, another downside, it may not resist gasoline well, so be carefull at the pump. I painted my first car, a 71 VW 411 with black tremclad, and you know what someone told me about the finished work? That can't be car paint, its too shiny. And that guy is right, slower drying paints are self levelling, so you don't get orange peel. About the only risk is a run. But considering it takes time to dry, you can alway touch up the run while its still wet and it spreads back out. If you prep properly and spray it on, it will produce a good looking finish. And on a budget, you have to love a paint that only cost $50/gallon. One more thing, I'd ignore the guys advice that you don't need to prime bare metal. You will have better results if you do prime bare metal. Even rattlecan primer will work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Stranger

If you can, check out the July 2007 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. On page 94 they have an article on a $98.00 paint job using Rust-Oleum. Sounds right down your alley.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode