I would like a GOOD GOUND for my Alternator - Page 5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
......Note to John Strenk,
John, I don't deliberately misspell your name! I'm sorry, but I just can't remember how you name is spelled! I'm stupid that way sometimes...
I can write it 30 times in a sentence, and still screw it up!
It's not intentional, and I'm sorry, but I know I'll do it over and over again...
Aaron.
No problem. You should of seen some of the variations I saw over the years. Even sections of our family spell it differently Michael Strank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I quess it was how they pronounced thier name on Ellis island.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
I pointed out that the charts don't take in consideration for length. You said they show limits as to possible current carrying capability - but you ducked the question of for "how far."
They are ampacity charts, length has nothing to do with the amount of current a conductor will carry. It will still carry the same current if you wrap it around the world 27,000 times. Why don’t you start now and try it?

I didn’t duck your question, I answered it 2 pages ago. Just because you didn’t read it, didn’t understand it or didn’t like the answer, doesn’t mean I didn’t answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Taz View Post
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Length has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the current carrying capacity.

The longer the wire, the more VOLTAGE DROP it produces. This is a function of the current being carried and the resistance of the wire. You don’t understand basic electricity, READ UP ON IT!!!!!!!! You have confused the fact that you use a bigger extension cord to reduce voltage drop for high current power tools if the cord is long, say over 25’. It has nothing to do with the current carrying capacity of the wire gauge. Furthermore, I didn’t think there was a need to discuss the voltage drop BECAUSE I DIDN’T EXPECT HIM TO USE ANYWHERE NEAR 25’ OF WIRE.

Quote:
"""""I said 6 or he might get by with 8 for an 85 amp alternator."""""
OVERKILL! Especially for the ground.
Actually, the 6 or 8 I recommended may not be big enough. Parallel conductors are always a problem if one or more fail. If you were to loose the contact between the ground cable from the battery and the starter, the starter current would flow through the parallel conductor provided for the alternator, wire goes poof. It could be protected with a fuse link, but since it’s a parallel conductor, you might never know that the fuse link blew and could run around for years with a piece of wire under your hood not doing anything.

Quote:
If you actually knew anything about electricity, you would have known about RMS and how it affects heat losses.
RMS is NOT REAL!!!!!!!! RMS can't have any affect on anything!!!!!!! It’s just a mathematical conversion like logarithms. Whether the length of a board is measured in feet, meters or parsecs, the length does not change.

RMS is a unit that makes calculating the average power using the voltage and resistance easier. There’s RMS value for current too, it ain’t real either. Multiply the RMS voltage by the RMS current, in a resistive circuit, and you get a value for average power. It’s just a calculated value, it doesn’t change anything in the real world.

Quote:
Notice on the thread JYG just posted that explains RMS. Notice at the bottom it talks about heating of a resistive value to measure actual RMS values.
So, what’s your point, assuming you had one other than to just throw some comment out there to muddy the waters?

If your purpose is to toss about electrical terms to make yourself look intelligent, you have failed. I was once in a bar when a punk near me was tossing about the term E equals m c squared in an attempt to feel big. I asked him if that wasn’t Einstein’s theory of relativity equation. It ain’t but he didn’t know that so he answered that it was. I asked him about the “m”, wasn’t that mass or something, he nodded yes. I asked him about “c” wasn’t that the speed of light, again he nodded. I asked him about “E”, wasn’t that energy, he kept nodding. Then I asked him what it was measured in.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 06-29-2007 at 11:20 AM.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Until now I wasn't aware there were any questions about the diode in my version of John Strenks 'Stealth HEI'.
BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

You talked about Daleís diode concern here and here, though with your condescending attitude, you werenít interested in what the problem might be.

Later you posted this, with the diagram:
Quote:
I just went back and grazed the thread...
And I think this is what he is talking about,

Guess he still doesn't realize not everyone has his version of a wiring harness...
Oh well, I've stopped wasting time on him until I meet him face to face...

You simply dismissed the question you claim not to have been aware of with comments like you have here:
Quote:
I knew dale and taz wouldn't understand, because neither can read a schematic and dale has problems with my simple diagrams, but I wasn't aware anyone else had a problem with it...
I can read a schematic and Iím sure Dale can too. Iíve drawn plenty but thereís nothing particularly dificult about it, getting it right is the difficult part.

You think you are SO-O-O-O-O-O smart, thatís the Mensa attitude even though they are at the bottom of the high IQ clubs heap. I have a reality check for you Mr. Mensa, randomly assemble a group of 25 people and itís a 50/50 chance that one of them has a higher IQ than you have. They will all be smarter because they wont have the attitude that the other 24 are too stupid to listen too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Veteran

WOW! This thread has too much "STATIC!" for me!

Timber!

'70 Jeepster "LONG MAY YOU RUN"
'71 Jeepster partster
"The world is a cruel place, for an honest man!"
post #45 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
WOW! This thread has too much "STATIC!" for me!
I'm hoping our former conductor, Leve reads all this, I know he can't resist staying current.
post #46 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 PM

'Static', 'Conductor', 'Current'...
That's pretty funny!

Anyway, like I said before, and so have several other people,
You should run the same size ground wire you do positive wire to the battery.
DC Current is circular, that's why we call it a 'Circuit' or completed circle...

Switched DC is NOT AC current, despite what some of the guys here say.

And I run a ground to anything that uses current.
Dedicated grounds to the dash, windshield, head lights, tail lights, gas tank sender, engine block, starter, alternator, ect.
I don't have electrical problems.
post #47 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Addict

DC is Direct current, hence the name, no break in the wave/frequency link. AC is Alternating current, hence the name, there is only half a wave or frequency link. If a generating plant was to slowwwwwwwwww way down their generators below 60 hertz for ac current your lights in your house would blink, only half a wave or frequency. Anyway the threaded hole on the back of the alternator is for the ground wire and run it back straight to the negative side of the battery. Mechanical grounds, I.E. running them thru the brackets and such are not the correct way, painted steel or just steel is not a good conductor, good conductors are copper, gold, silver, aluminum to name a few I personally won't use anything else, thats just MY opinion.

Booger
post #48 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
If a generating plant was to slowwwwwwwwww way down their generators below 60 hertz for ac current your lights in your house would blink, ...
They do blink, it’s your eye that can’t see it just like watching movie film from a movie projector.

Fluorescent lights are strobe lights at 120 flashes per second. That’s how those silver/black stripes on the wheel on tape players or the edge of phonograph turntables seemed to quit moving when the tape/record was at the right speed.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 06-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
post #49 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Switched DC is NOT AC current, despite what some of the guys here say.
That statement is what separates the people that really know electrical from the posers. AC does not have to appear as a nice perfect sine wave centered on the zero line.

post #50 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 10:06 AM

BOOGER! Another vote for sanity in a taz-E-fied world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode