I would like a GOOD GOUND for my Alternator - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 AM

I'm calm. I took my pill and I have taz on ignore, so I'm fine as frog hair...

Soft top zippers!
Wish you could get them in brass so they don't corrode up or like the plastic ones loose teeth when they get a couple of years on them!

I've abandoned soft tops, I have a bikini top and a hard top or tarp for winter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM

I'll throw taz a bone, I hate to have him ranting and raving without knowing what he's talking about again...

Here is a pretty good definition of RMS,
Again, it's AC voltage and has nothing to do with wiring a jeep...

http://www.ece.unb.ca/tervo/ee2791/vrms.htm

Last edited by Junk Yard Genius; 06-28-2007 at 11:03 AM.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
For what you want from me - please hold your breath!
Thatís what I thought your reply would be.

I asked you to support your claim that the wire size current charts were bogus. They ainít, you canít answer.

I asked you if Ohmís law is different for AC than it is for DC. It ainít, you canít answer.

I asked you what the RMS voltage value has to do with DC having more drop than AC. It donít, you canít answer.

I asked you to explain your argument for that do-nothing diode in jygís stealth ignition module having some purpose. It has none, you canít answer.

I asked you for an apology for your malicious act of bringing my family into this thread and being wrong about it, either intentionally or otherwise.

I didnít think you would apologize. Iíd already put you in the same category with people of your type like Hilary and Rosie OíDonnell , to other people that arenít man enough to apologize either. Their both liberals like you too and neither one of them is very bright either.

Quit spouting you BS on this board trying to be somebody and youíll get no trouble from me.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I answered, ďe. None of the above.Ē

I disagree with their statement, ďIf you said "b.", you were correct for a sinusoidal waveform, but the full definition of V RMS is much more general.Ē Thatís not the definition just how to derive the value for a sinusoidal waveform.

The RMS voltage is used to figure the power available.

Power in Watts is P=IE (the voltage times the current.)

This can be converted to a function of the voltage and the resistance by the use of Ohmís law.

E=IR transforms to I=E/R, so P is now equal to E squared/R.

There isnít a function to provide the square of the wave form so it is necessary to take lots of very small samples of one cycle of the waveform, square them and then divide by the number of samples. This gives a valid value of V squared for the power equation. The square root of that value is the RMS (root mean squared) value of V. The voltage value given as coming out of a wall socket is already stated as the RMS value.

The question is what this has to do with Richís statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
If you understood AC vs. DC in other than sexual terms, you'd understand why DC has more drop than AC. Clue - Does RMS mean anything to you?
You only proclaimed;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
Anyway, RMS is the correct answer...
You never told us what the question was. It may well be the answer to some question but not to anything we have discussed here.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Way Outta Control

"""""I asked you to support your claim that the wire size current charts were bogus. They ain’t, you can’t answer."""""
I pointed out that the charts don't take in consideration for length. You said they show limits as to possible current carrying capability - but you ducked the question of for "how far."

Your chart says at least you said it does:
"""""10ga is good for 30 amps"""""

"""""I said 6 or he might get by with 8 for an 85 amp alternator."""""
OVERKILL! Especially for the ground.

"""""I asked you if Ohm’s law is different for AC than it is for DC. It ain’t, you can’t answer."""""
You answered it yourself, if you want to argue with yourself then go ahead!

"""""I asked you what the RMS voltage value has to do with DC having more drop than AC. It don’t, you can’t answer."""""

Your statement that DC carries long distances better with less loss than AC - pertaining to the comments about Edison - you said because it's easier to step up the voltage using transformers with AC, - that's one reason - you were correct there, But you avoided the fact that AC has less line loss than DC. I said it was because of RMS. If you actually knew anything about electricity, you would have known about RMS and how it affects heat losses.
Does every little thing have to be spelled out in detail to you? You say you are an electric train expert, doesn't your toy train manual cover that? Is Lionel still in business?

Notice on the thread JYG just posted that explains RMS. Notice at the bottom it talks about heating of a resistive value to measure actual RMS values.

I asked you why the ground to the alternator has more current than the alternator's output and requires a much heavier wire than the standard 10 GA almost all carmakers use. You ducked the question - as usual. By your information there should be millions of cars stuck all over the world with dead batteries!

"""""I asked you to explain your argument for that do-nothing diode in jyg’s stealth ignition module having some purpose. It has none, you can’t answer."""""
That was an entirely different thread - ancient history - are you still fretting over that? You certainly need to get a life!

Since JYG wasn't going to explain it to someone like you, I was not going to either.

"""""I asked you for an apology for your malicious act of bringing my family into this thread and being wrong about it, either intentionally or otherwise."""""

YOU are the one that brought in your family in an attempt to hide behind them, hoping to pretend you are "normal" and not in your grandmother's basement. I never said anything about your "family" untill you did.

An apology -- I told you I would, just hold your breath till I do!

Last edited by RRich; 06-28-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: To add a couple of comments
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rrich, time to get outta there before you get hurt. This is nowhere for a child to be in the middle of such heavy information flying around. You are not contributing, just being inflammatory.

Taz and Jyg, this is really interesting, though over my head. If I could make a suggestion: It looks from this side he said/he said; could we get more links supporting your positions instead of quoting each other?

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Wow, this is good stuff. I just spent my whole lunch catching up.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 PM

I'm not into it with taz, I have him on ignore...
All I see is what people quote from him.
I have no idea what his arguments are, but since he's [u]Always[/b] wrong, I just figure he's dead wrong on this too.
It's not really a stretch.

This is the guy that thinks a switched DC circuit makes it AC and adding dedicated ground wires is a "BAD" idea...

Anyway, what is the general consensus on soft top zippers?
I never heard...
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM

I was just skimming over the stuff trying to get to the bottom of the page and happened upon this...

Quote:
"""""I asked you to explain your argument for that do-nothing diode in jygís stealth ignition module having some purpose. It has none, you canít answer."""""
That was an entirely different thread - ancient history - are you still fretting over that? You certainly need to get a life!

Since JYG wasn't going to explain it to someone like you, I was not going to either.
I don't know who is quoting whom here, and frankly, I don't care.
Since taz is on ignore, I don't see his posts...

Until now I wasn't aware there were any questions about the diode in my version of John Strenks 'Stealth HEI'.
I knew dale and taz wouldn't understand, because neither can read a schematic and dale has problems with my simple diagrams, but I wasn't aware anyone else had a problem with it...

If there is any doubt what that diode is there for, or what it does, let me know and I'll explain, and if taz or dale gets into it, maybe someone like John Strenk will be kind enough to mediate and/or offer a 'Neutral' opinion/explanation of the diode's purpose.

Honestly, I had no idea that little diode would be such a source of so much amusement to taz and dale. Glad they had something to talk about!
Their musings between themselves probably kept them from pranging on or insulting some new guy or arguing over nothing with one of the members that actually knows what they are doing most of the time... So it's OK with me.
----------------------

Note to John Strenk,
John, I don't deliberately misspell your name! I'm sorry, but I just can't remember how you name is spelled! I'm stupid that way sometimes...
I can write it 30 times in a sentence, and still screw it up!
It's not intentional, and I'm sorry, but I know I'll do it over and over again...
Aaron.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

Question

Wow! That was fun. Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode