Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   UHAUL trailer CRAZINESS (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/225429-uhaul-trailer-craziness.html)

fourwhlnmp 06-22-2007 02:34 PM

UHAUL trailer CRAZINESS

well here i sit fixing to PCS from korea to texas which means moving life from NC to TX once i get back so i thought easiest way to get jeep and all my belongings would be a uhaul trailer hooked up right.... wrong apparently uhaul has some policy that if you have a soft top suv they will not allow you to hook up one of their trailers to your truck. ive been racking my brain tring to figure this one out cant for the life of me figure out why the few pound difference between my soft top or a hard top would make such a huge difference that i cant do it oh well off to the drawing board.

CPL Bennett.

Totally confused wtf is up with uhaul??

thorjeep 06-22-2007 02:53 PM

Smaller wheelbase I guess. They won't let any trailer, or just the larger ones?

WILL 06-22-2007 03:16 PM

It's not the weight, they want something more than a tent between you and the trailer.

thorjeep 06-22-2007 03:30 PM

Probobly so, we all know that factory hardtop will stop most things ;)

JeepDawg 06-22-2007 06:07 PM

So, borrow a buddies truck to pick up the trailer and then hook it up to your jeep once you are away from the place....

TiminMb 06-22-2007 06:08 PM

What a bunch of worryworts. I like Dawg's idea.

fourwhlnmp 06-23-2007 05:12 AM

yea i thought about that but when youpick up the railer you "register" the trailer to the vechile so id be screwed once i got out to texas then i thought i could hook it up to my mud truck but the 6 miles to the gallon would kill my bank account driving the 1,500 miles out there im sure ill think of something i just thought it was crazy that they wouldnt allow a soft top SUV to pull a trailer even their smallest one i mean the boat i pull is bigger than the trailer i need to use

RickCJ7 06-23-2007 06:10 AM

You might try talking to a different UHaul place, maybe they don't have that policy or don't enforce it. Maybe not as cheap, but what about renting a small truck and a car dolly to pull the Jeep behind the truck.

fourwhlnmp 06-23-2007 10:20 AM

yea i looked into that though they want a kidney for the price i looked at budget and i can get a truck and dolly for pretty chep through them well just have to wait and see what happens i still have about three weeks stuck here so only time will tell

Bryan 06-25-2007 01:09 PM

I tried to rent a trailer from them many years ago and they said I couldn't because I have a YJ.
Yet I have seen many SWB Jeeps pulling uhaul trailers since then.