Home grown rocker skids - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Home grown rocker skids

Does anyone see a problem with using the stock step brackets on a TJ to hold "home grown" rocker skids to the frame? I've looked at JP's......they look like 1" tube stock ....Quadratec sell an "Extreme" set that appears to be 2x4 tube stock ......they also sell something that looks like 2x3 angle stock w/diamond plate on the long edge that I suspect is a reduced version of industrial prefabbed step material. All these products cost around $250 ......which seems just a little high for the lack of "fine" work involved with their construction. Naturally I'm not taking into account all the costs related to bringing a product "to market" .....but still.

Any reason why the stock step supports wouldn't work?

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Home grown rocker skids

In southeastern Oklahoma is a trail called Snake Pit. The current issue of 4WD&SU shows some of it and doesn't tell the half. It is not impossible but it is tough and it got the right side of my '94 YJ (the whole middle) in less than one second. And all of that was at less than a full mile an hour. The original step brackets and step and urethane flair extenders and all other attendent parts got wadded. That is O.K. No, really, it's O.K. What isn't O.K. is the tub sheet metal that got wadded. That is not O.K., acceptable, cool, kosher, tolerable or cheap. It didn't happen on the street in an accident or in a bad spill or some other similar mishap while wheeling. It just happened while normal wheeling. It will happen to you if you wheel. I lived on luck for four years and thought I was exceptionally skilled. HA. (Pride goeth before a fall.)
My point is to make your nerf bars, or whatever you call them, as strong as possible and that they be on the frame and not the body.
Just as soon as I get out of this apartment and back into a proper house(with garage) I will have some four purpose ones on my rig.
sln

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I made my rocker skids out of 5 inch by 3 inch angle iron 1/4 an inch thick. They go from front to back and have withheld all I have thrown at them. Total cost was about $35. You can drill holes through the angle iron to hold the steps on if the are the ones I am thinking of.

Kenney Johnson
San Diego 4 Wheelers
89 YJ w/ 98 XJ 4.0, Dana 60, "stuff"
www.sd4wheel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tough break sln......
kenny.......how did you attach the 3x5 angle to the vehicle........to the frame like most......or did you just drill and bolt to the rockers? This is what I want to use the stock step brackets for....... I really don't see it being that much more expensive to fab heavier pieces if they aren't up to the job. I have access to cheap steel and a great buddy who's hell with a hammer and hot with a torch ......so unless I go with something that I can't scrounge out of the scrap bin at work (and there's much to be had - never saw a place waste sooooooo much usable stuff - and they let you have all that you want if you ask for it) which is anything from 8" I beam - 4x4 box tube stock - to various diameter and schedule pipe (in stainless steel even) ......I should be able to make it.
Thanks for the input ......and thanks in advance for any additional input.
GeeAea

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know they aren't cheap, but I used Currie rocker panel protectors. I've run the Rubicon and many similar type of trails and the only
thing that's happened is some scratched paint. I've slammed the rockers down hard enough to rattle my teeth and there's no crumbled
sheetmetal. Currie is not the manufacturer either.

Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have off-your-rocker rocker panel gaurds and corner panels on my YJ. I have spanked those puppies against some pretty big rocks and have yet to have any damage. They may be expensive but the damage they have protected against would have been a lot more. As the old saying goes; go big or stay at home. I am sure you could attach the stock step somehow but don't know if it would survive a really big hit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode