Weber 32/36 linkage won't fit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Weber 32/36 linkage won't fit

Hi,

trying to install a weber 32/36 kit (k491) on my 1980 Jeep Cj7 (151-engine) i discovered that the linkage causes some problems and is not just a bolt-on as promised. Maybe you guys with expierence on converting webers can help me out.

As you can see on the attached pictures the small rod between the bellcrank on the manifold an the throttle lever is too long an positioned either to far away or to close to both of the ball-type connections on the lever. So if connected the whole assembly doesen't move freely and tends to fall apart again.

What are my options? I tried to get a shorter rod between bellcrank and throttle lever, but it was not available here. Anyway. in this case the lever would still be either to far away or to close to both of the ball type connections.
Convert to a universal linkage? I'm not sure there is enough clearance between the valve cover and the carb for that.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1686 xxx.JPG (89.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1684 xx.JPG (85.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Two choices seem obvious: Call who ever said that it was bolt-on and have them tell you how to bolt it on, or fix it yourself, for which I see two choices: Move the bellcrank or adjust the length the link.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I think moving the bellcrank would be the better choice. The angles are going to be rather extreme with the bellcrank where it is. Can you move it a little forward and closer to the valve cover?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I 've been talking to the guys who said it was a bolt-on for three months now. Not very helpful. Moving the bellcrank would mean to machine a thread into the intake mainfold, which probably has to come off for that. Something i wanted to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Betcha a nickel that's not necessary. Make a plate that will bolt to a couple of bolt holes in the head - the one the bellcrank pivot is in now and another one near by if possible. Then drill a hole in the plate and put the pivot in it. Easy!

(see my signature)

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
79 Corona

Have you contacted Weber directly? I'd make sure what they sent you IS the correct conversion kit. The carbs are the same, but have different adapters and other hardware to make it work on your model. Apparently the K490 will work as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode