Stuipd TJ windshield question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM
cchang03

Stuipd TJ windshield question

So I recently sold my much loved 84 CJ-7 and bought an 02 TJ Sahara. Overall am enjoying the improved ride and much reduced maintenance, but miss and crave the simplicity of the CJ.

Today I lowered the TJ windshield for the first time. To begin with required taking out 6 torx bolts vs just unscrewing hand turn knobs. Then I pushed on the windshield - doesn't budge - push a little harder - windshield goes down, but oops, I snapped the top of the plastic windshield pillar molding on both sides of the interior of the windshield.

The potentially stupid question is how did that happen? See attached photo- seemed like the design was that there is a rubber joint there where the windshield plastic molding would separate from the rest of the plastic "door frame". I can only guess that somehow it was attached and that the design is such that you are supposed to remove the whole door frame as well if you want to lower the windshield?

Well I guess I've solved that problem- doesn't seem like having snapped the top of that piece is going to have any impact so am going to leave it be.

Wonder also if anyone else is also annoyed by the fact that design seems to have changed from CJ to TJ such that rain drips off the top of the full doors into my lap and off the back of the factory soft top into the rear of the tub, whereas on my CJ in both cases the majority of the rain would drip outside the tub and only what blew in would come in.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

picture doesnt work or is missing.....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:32 PM
cchang03

pic

yeah it won't let me upload pics for some reason. i press the insert picture button and nothing happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mine is a '99, but I'm going to assume it is the same.
The factory "sport" bar has to be removed from the windshield frame.
Only the center torx has to be removed to lower the windshield.
The other bolts hold the frame to the hinges.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with the plastic things. Maybe when you fix the picture I'll understand.
If your talking about the little nub where the door surrounds align, one of mine got removed from the windshield a few years ago when a tree got mad at it. It makes lining the surrounds back up a lot easier. They certainly never broke from removing the surrounds, and I never tried laying the windshield down with the doors still on so I can't attest to that.
If I'm way off base, I'll check back after the picture works.
Good luck.

Jim
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode