Sat. Afternoon Backroad/Trail Ride... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Sat. Afternoon Backroad/Trail Ride...

Went out today with the Girlfriend and an AR with .22 conversion...
Only thing short enough to fit in my back seat!

Anyway, went for a ride down by the river. Didn't see anything to take a shot at except for piece of tin in a dump.
Nice day and we had a pretty good time....
Nice weather, stopped a the fresh fruit market on the way out so we snacked on peaches and strawberries.
Had homemade lemon aid in the water bottle, so things could have been a bunch worse!

Found a pretty good trail, but it's going to be muddy a lot of the year, it's in flood plain and it's clay/topsoil, so I'm sure it's going to be sloppy!
Pretty squishey today and from the looks of it.... It's been soggy for a while!
Deer central out there, we must have seen 10 deer today, including a pretty good size buck in felt already...

Poison Ivy should be a cash crop, the farmers around here would be rich!
I've never seen such a bumper crop of poison ivy as this year...
Makes me scratch just thinking about it!

We saw a red fox do the strangest thing today...
Came out in the road (Still paved at that point), set down in the middle of the road and started scratching under it's chin...
First one hind foot, then shifted and used the other hind foot.
We got the jeep within 10 feet of the little dude before he even showed us any attention at all! Then all he did was change feet again!
When he had a good scratch, he gout up and walked off!
Didn't run, didn't alert, no tail standing out, no looking over his shoulder like a fox will do, just ambled off out through a field and into a barn without a concern in the world...
Strangest behavior out of a Fox I've ever seen!

Hawks are fat as turkeys this year!
No real winter, so the ate good all year, and they are HUGE!
Saw one sitting on a fence post from about 30 feet away before he moved and I actually though it was a turkey when we drove up on it, before it flew away.

Had a root beer shake (root beer float run through the shake machine) on the way home and it was GOOD!

All things being equal, it was a pretty good afternoon! Can't complain so I won't!
Need to work on the little heep, but that's hard to do while we are driving and enjoying it!
Best $600 I've ever spent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like you had a pretty good day. It's good to get away from the real world every so often. I'm hoping that my chance will come a little later

this year. Getting ready to put an addition and a new Jeep shop on the house, so things may get a little balled up before they get any better. Glad

you had a chance to enjoy yourself.

David

Cymru Am Byth
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
We saw a red fox do the strangest thing today...
Came out in the road (Still paved at that point), set down in the middle of the road and started scratching under it's chin...
First one hind foot, then shifted and used the other hind foot.
We got the jeep within 10 feet of the little dude before he even showed us any attention at all! Then all he did was change feet again!
When he had a good scratch, he gout up and walked off!
Didn't run, didn't alert, no tail standing out, no looking over his shoulder like a fox will do, just ambled off out through a field and into a barn without a concern in the world...
Strangest behavior out of a Fox I've ever seen!
In the winter of 89-90 I was working on one of my old CJ's in my Dad's garage when the dog started growling and sniffing at the garage door. Because it was winter and I had to chop the wood for the garage heat, I went out the side door. Sitting in front of the big garage door was a pure white fox. When I walked around the corner of the garage I was only 15 feet from it, but it just sat there and looked at me. We stared at each other for quite a while I had never seen a white fox before and I wanted to watch it as long as possible. After 10-15 min, I walked closer slowly. I got about 5 feet away and it just walked away.

It's not what you have. It's what you do with what you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
In the winter of 89-90 I was working on one of my old CJ's in my Dad's garage when the dog started growling and sniffing at the garage door. Because it was winter and I had to chop the wood for the garage heat, I went out the side door. Sitting in front of the big garage door was a pure white fox. When I walked around the corner of the garage I was only 15 feet from it, but it just sat there and looked at me. We stared at each other for quite a while I had never seen a white fox before and I wanted to watch it as long as possible. After 10-15 min, I walked closer slowly. I got about 5 feet away and it just walked away.
Humm, if a wild fox let you get that close somethings not right. It could have had rabies or something. I would have likely did the same thing you did Chris, which is a good reason to keep your "bite list" up to date; You know, the people you want to bite if you contract rabies.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"bite list" thats great i'm going to have to remember that one and use it in the future

a few weeks ago Katy and I were coming back from looking at a house....it was in a very heavily wooded area. on one of the roads heading out there was a Fox with two fox pups in tow. they just trotted out in front of us as we pulled up to the stop sign...like they had a cross-walk or something....completely oblivious to the vehicle that just came to a stop a few feet from it

it was pretty cute....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

We pretty much repeated the ride today...
We are looking at some ground south of town, and I wanted a better gander at it, so we took the little heep out and took a better look.

Great place for rifle range and garage, so I think I'm going to call about it tomorow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode