OT "hot roding" an '87 chevy truck, 350 performance, maybe LT1 questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

OT "hot roding" an '87 chevy truck, 350 performance, maybe LT1 questions...

I've picked up an '87 2wd 1/2 ton chevy with a tbi 350/700r4 that's in decent shape for a midwest truck. It sat for 10 years but runs/ drives, the motor smokes, and the reason it was parked because every so often it would blow the ecm b fuse. I've been told it should get a motor (came from the truck's owner/ my boss that doesn't know much about cars) and i might as well mess with it. I got the truck for free and I'm thinking it will make a good budget "sleeper" street truck and back up tow rig. I'm going to start driving it for a couple weeks to figure out what the rest of the truck needs and probably try and sell it but if it doesn't sell I think i'm going to do something with it.

I'd like to have a kinda fast but streetable/ driveable truck. It's a 2 tone regular cab/ long box with grandpa running boards, pealing paint, sits about 4" off the ground, it's definetly ugly and would be a great sleeper on the street. I've never had anything that's been for the street/ had any motor performance parts so I need some help/ direction.

One idea I had was to pick up a '94-'96 caprice or other gm car with an LT1 for cheap (under $500) and then swap in the LT1/ 4L60E into the truck. I'm thinking this should be a pretty "simple and straight forward" swap. I'm pretty confident with the whole parts car and a couple wiring diagrams I could make the swap work. I know i'll need a high pressure fuel pump, what pressure does an LT1 need? Do LT1's use special exhaust manifolds/ headers or do they just use normal 350 headers? From what I had read caprice LT1 puts out 260HP and 330lbs of torque. What would a good mix of parts be to bring an LT1 to 300-350HP?

Is an LT1 the right direction to go or should I ditch the TBI 350 for a carbed 350? What's a decent mix of parts for a carbed 350, maybe 383?

What else should I do to the rest of the truck? I'm thinking a 3.73 geared, posied, and disced 12 bolt would be a good idea to replace the 12 bolt.

I could use some "hot rod" basics if anyone wants to point me in the right direction. Any good fourms to start reading for street cars/ trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Old Hand

I dont have any info for you other then are you %100 its a 350? Most 2wd 1/2 tons are 305s and they look the same as a 350 other then the block #'s

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Sticker on the core support says 5.7L...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

First, I would not suggest going backwards by putting on a carb....not to mention that most state smog laws don't allow that....not to mention that you lose power....

Forget LT1....if you really want power go LS1...say Vorteck....A stock Vortech engine puts out 330HP +.....Basically, it's a Gen III (aluminum block and heads, reverse flow) TPI engine. Find a full size late model PU (2000+) and it should have one.....great engine

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

350 is a very versatile motor...You can build any amounts of H.P. out of them! 383 is a stroked and bored one...Not sure if you knew that. Advantages of fuel injection on the street are simply computerized tuning like the ricers, and better gas mileage somewhat.

If your looking for a stock motor to drop in and make power than the post above my is probably good advice...However you won't loose power from dropping in a carbed motor! That's just where the fun begins...You could stroke and bore the motor, throw in chromoly rings, stronger rods and pistons, in the top end you could go with just about anything...Dual plane intakes are a good choice for street strip...Single plane is for tons of horsepower but not much low end...Throw on a 650cfm carb and a set of headers and your in the 300hp area easily. If you did the bottom end work you much higher. I know a few guys that have supercharged '54 and '57 chevys and they push close to 1000hp with dual quads matched from Vic Edelbrock. Not sure what gears they run but I remember one of them saying they got on it too quick and started to get tunnel vision and disorintated until the car was pulled over for a few seconds!

Just always remember 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 with Chevys!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Forget LT1....if you really want power go LS1...say Vorteck....A stock Vortech engine puts out 330HP +.....Basically, it's a Gen III (aluminum block and heads, reverse flow) TPI engine. Find a full size late model PU (2000+) and it should have one.....great engine
I guess you missed the part about a budget build. Finding a '94-'96 carpice, fleetwood, or roadmaster for less then $500 is a lot easier then finding a wrecked '00+ truck for a price I can afford.

Building a chevy truck is ton different then building a jeep, the LT1 and 4L60E should bolt in. I'll do new motor/ trans mounts, reseal the motor and trans, new plugs, new belt, a set of headers, i have acess to an exhaust bender for an exhaust, a fuel pump which i'm thinking about trying to get a stock LT1 car in tank pump to work in the truck's tank. Then you add in $200 in nuts, bolts, compression fittings, lines/ hoses, I might just go with a floor shifter for the trans instead of messing with making a colum shifter work.

Ideally i'd like to have less then a grand into the motor/ trans swap, that really means 2 grand because of stuff that goes wrong/ should be replaced that I didn't realize.

I like the idea of fuel injection for fuel economy, smooth power, and the lack of monkeying around once you get it dialed in. I am not opposed to a carb but I'm affraid of the fuel economy. The LT1 i'd be gettting should be a 260HP and i know that's not too hard for a carbed small block.

I was thinking about a 383 or even just a decent 350 though I'm pretty sure i'd be into the motor $1500-$2000 grand. Keep throwing ideas and me and let me know if i'm smoking crack with my thinking

Also how much of a quick car/ truck is chassis setup and tires? Some of my buddies have pretty wild motors in damn near stock cars/ trucks. Would spending some $$ to get the power to the ground make up for lack of HP?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm putting an LT1 in my K5 Blazer. Just plan on replacing the Optispark, the stock units give out @ about 50k miles. The better, aftermarket ones are between 300 & 500 bucks. For more power, you can swap in a GM Parts "Hot Cam" or if you want send more $$, an LT4 Kit(heads,cam,intake,,,,).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode