need Welding help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

need Welding help

I need to do some light welding, like body work, light fram work. I don't no nothing about welding. Ark mig tig stick. can someone help? I was looking a Walmart, Harbor freight i don't want to spend a lot of money but i don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 PM

well dave here goes

I went down this road 7 years ago with an '82 bronco, It started out with "I need a welder and don't know how to weld!" Now I have 3 and still need a Tig and plasma cutter. I have to lincolns, and had a campell hausfield mig (was stolen), and now a chicago electric Mig . I have a Lincoln pro-core (no Argon Inert gas) and a Lincoln stick. Now heres where I am going to tell you what you need so you don't go through all the money I did. The chicago electric MIG is the best deal the welder itself is only $249. its on special as we speak! the regulators are like $50 . The gas is expensive unless you can find a loner tank,(When you buy the initial $10 fill you gotta buy a $150 tank to put it in) but after that its like $10 to get it filled. its not as great as a tig, you will have to do alot of grinding because with a wire feed your adding new steel, with a tig your just adding metal maually as you need it(and takes alot of practice) any how if you buy a mig its the best for the money and by far the cheapest. I found having a good welder is prob the most useful tool in my shop,and a grinder to go with it can't forget that. They will pay for themselves eventually if this is your hobby!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 AM

I don't know if the guy has still got it, but the local discount auto parts dealer is a friend of mine (Hollywood Marine )...
And he has a little Lincoln body shop MIG...
Ordered it for a guy in a moonlight body/sterio shop, the guy didn't like it (used gas wire with no gas... Dumba$$...)

Welder, regulator, wire, shield and some accessories for about $250
Usually sells for $550 to $600
Open box, 'Used' (tape goo stripe isn't even off the top row of wire)...
If you are interested, I'll ask if he's still got it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 AM

I would jump on that

dude you should jump on that !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedchad View Post
dude you should jump on that !
X2 You will have a hard time finding a deal like that again.

David

Cymru Am Byth
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Do you know what model Lincoln it is? I've been lookin' to get a welder to start learning some things with... I may be interested if he's not.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Just called the store, and it's gone. Went out about 4 days ago according to the manager.

I didn't take note of the model,
but the specs are 33 to 88 or so amps, gas regulator was included.
Pretty average for a 110 volt welder. Lots of body shop guys use them...
You won't run into much on a stock vehicle you can't do with one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddave44 View Post
I need to do some light welding, like body work, light fram work. I don't no nothing about welding. Ark mig tig stick. can someone help? I was looking a Walmart, Harbor freight i don't want to spend a lot of money but i don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks
Do you have 220 power available? If so, I'd buy a 220 volt mig. Lincoln has their SP135 110 volt and SP175 220 volt machines. The SP175 will cover a wider range of material thickness, and operate with either flux core or gas shield. Hobart and Miller also have good machines in both the 110 volt and entry level 220 volt machines. I'd stick to those 3 brands. I can vouch for the SP175T. It has a very nice arc on sheet metal and all the way up to 3/16". The T model has tapped voltage settings as opposed to the more expensive continually variable voltage of the "+" models. I have the "T" and its good.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Go 220 volt and buy from a well known manufacturer such as Lincoln, Hobart, miller etc. Bigger is better. I have been down this road. Started with a 115 volt welder and grew out if it way too fast. When it finally quit working I told myself I would not make the mistake of buying too little welder. I replaced it with a MillerMatic 251 and have never looked back. I have never heard someone complain that they bought too big of a welder, but I have heard a lot of people complain that their welder was too small.

As a side note, I hear Miller updated the MM 210 and MM 251, so there may be some deals out there no some of the larger machines.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't no nothing about welding.
Not trying to dump on you but you do not need a welder, you need to learn how to weld.

Welding is skill that takes time and training to learn. It is not as easy as it looks and requires practice and some training from a knowledgeable person to learn to do acceptably. Many community Colleges offer class's in hobby welding. Take one and learn how then if you are ready to weld on your own buy a welder. If you try to just play till you make a weld that looks good it will take far longer to learn and you will have a hard time getting started. Worse yet you will likely learn bad practices that could lead to poor welds. The frame of your Jeep is no place for a weld that looks okay to an untrained and uneducated eye, but contains: slag inclusions, porosity, Hydrogen embrittlement, poor penetration, and to much/ not enough heat. MIG welding can easily produce such welds, which are little more than an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention the need to think through a weld or patch to prevent problems due to stress cracking and warping.

A single class will not solve all of these issues but it will get you started in the right direction.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode