O/T Marine uniforms - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question O/T Marine uniforms

Since so many of you are past and present military I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions for us. First off, I have been searching ebay.ca and ebay.com for a G.I. Joe Action Man Mountie and G.I.Joe Marine in dress blues - long story. I came across real uniform Marine dress blues for auction. All of the ribbons, rank insignia, etc were on these uniforms.Here's the question - is a person permitted to sell his/her uniform? Also does the government keep track of those that do and those that buy them? My son said they would keep track of people purchasing uniforms for the sake of terrorism and other illegal acts. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Journeyman

I've come across this...

" Army Regualtion 670-1, paragraph 1-4 states: d. In accordance with chapter 45, section 771, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 771), no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S. Army unless otherwise authorized by law. Additionally, no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear a uniform, any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the U.S. Army uniform. This includes the distinctive uniforms and uniform items listed in paragraph 1–12 of this regulation. Paragraph 1–12 goes on to define "Distinctive uniforms and uniform items:"
a. The following uniform items are distinctive and will not be sold to or worn by unauthorized personnel:
  • (1) All Army headgear, when worn with insignia.
  • (2) Badges and tabs (identification, marksmanship, combat, and special skill).
  • (3) Uniform buttons (U.S. Army or Corps of Engineers).
  • (4) Decorations, service medals, service and training ribbons, and other awards and their appurtenances.
  • (5) Insignia of any design or color that the Army has adopted."
Of course this is U.S. Army and not the Marine Corps, but I would imagine it is similar. However, this doesn't say it is illegal to purchase or sell it.

85 CJ7 lifelong project...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM

I got your answer

I was a grunt in the marines 8 years ago, I still have my dress blues, I had to purchase them on my own they do not issue them anymore. so they are yours along with the ribbons on them. just don't wear them around and claim them and you'll be ok. as for the army I can only say when my grandfather died his family kept all his WWII gear. you just can't impersonate.(at least I don't think you can) If average joe wheres cammies in public and john lennon can make a mockery of the dress uniform I guess anyone can own them. They may be able to wear them without prosecution, I don't know any Hippies in jail for it.

Last edited by tattooedchad; 06-03-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Misspelled and misstated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Actually, it's a federal offense for a non-military person to wear any of the military uniforms and portray yourself as being in the military.....

No different than putting on a Police uniform and saying your a cop.

About the ONLY exception to this is if you are making a movie.....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 AM

Funny you should say that !

back when I was in you couldn't even stop at the gas station in your utilities (cammies), but you could wear dress blue bravos. The blue top and trousers with white cover ,and go any where (same as Alpha's just without your medals, ribbons only). I thought that was funny cause anybody can where BDU's cammies whatever you wanna call'em but that was the one uniform we could'nt wear anywhere lol. I would like to see those that are posing as marines,soldiers,sailors and airmmen prosecuted then. I always see those hippies and protesters in them. like it was some kinda costume party ! besides if anyone can buy the stuff at a surplus store I have no reason to believe it is illegal to own it, I would have to say I do believe it is illegal to sport it in a formal manner,and lead others to believe you are currently serving.

Last edited by tattooedchad; 06-04-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 AM

Not illegal to buy, possess or to wear military uniform components.
It is illegal to assemble and wear, for reason of impersonation of active duty, or decorated discharged military.
So if you aren't impersonating a decorated vet or current active duty troop, you should be fine...

If you want to impersonate a non decroated discharged troop, I'm not sure that would be legal, but there isn't any specific rule I can find against it...

Acting the part of (as in actors) is not 'Impersonation'...
Neither would be wearing uniforms or uniform components that still had rank or unit patches, ect. for the purpose of hunting, or as work cloths.
Say, something you purchased at the local Army/Navy surplus store and wore to work or hunting... That would be legal.

If wearing field jackets or fatigues was illegal, about 80% of the male population would be in jail from the '60's/70's/80's... Anyone remember OD green field jackets and cotton BDU shirts?

And representing or 'Impersonating' historical figures, like re enactors, is not only legal, but the military will help you research the uniforms, rank insignia and field kit used for the period you are reenacting.

Personally, If I catch you impersonating a grunt, the legality of what you are doing is the least of your worries...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I thank you all for your help. It may be legal, however it doesn't feel right morally or ethically. It's just not right.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I can tell you right now, that if a Marine is selling his Dress uniform with ribbons, he's pretty hard up for money!
Mine is still pressed and in a zipper travel bag in the closet... Like every other inactive Marine I know.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
I can tell you right now, that if a Marine is selling his Dress uniform with ribbons, he's pretty hard up for money!
Mine is still pressed and in a zipper travel bag in the closet... Like every other inactive Marine I know.
Maybe that Marine is no longer living. Half of the sales on eBay anymore are estate sales. Those sellers will also mis-represent most of the stuff. They'll list a pair of off the shelf camo pants as "Authentic US Army Uniform".

Personally I think it's pretty disrespectful to just sell such an honorable uniform in that manner.

Matt

"Pray to J I get the same ol same ol"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
No different than putting on a Police uniform and saying your a cop.

About the ONLY exception to this is if you are making a movie.....
In New York City it’s not an exception. They recently decided that they will arrest actors in police uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedchad View Post
back when I was in you couldn't even stop at the gas station in your utilities (cammies), but you could wear dress blue bravos.
It was a showing class thing. Work uniforms were not allowed off base unless while in the active performance duties.

I doubt things have changed much in the last 40 years. When I was in, anybody could wear PARTS of the uniform. Rank and branch insignia/patches had to be removed. The branch patch had to be torn off work uniforms. With these items removed, it is no longer a uniform. I think the U.S. collar brass was legal to wear but I’m not sure.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode