Need some tranny tech info AMC 401 IH T19 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Need some tranny tech info AMC 401 IH T19

I 'm building a 401 powered Cj-7 and want to use this scout T-19, This older dude I know owns a Jeep grave yard, and he told me a T-150 Bellhousing will work. The bolts arent looking (well lets just say if he's right it was machined in poland) like they will line up to say the least.
Any and all info. is invited.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Official Historian

He might have been referring to the bell housing being the right length to match the input shaft, the hole centering the input bearing retainer but having to drill the correct bolt pattern in it.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Check this old link It should clear things up.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

awesome

That link you put up was awesome,I was hoping that this was just a fix for the input shaft. I work at a large machine shop so indicating the hole in and redrilling would not be a problem. I just did'nt want to waste my time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Way Outta Control

... And when you do the machining take a few picuters and write up how you did the project. We'd all like to learn a little... multipy the knowledge.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Good Idea

I should I'm glad you said somthing I never think about that stuff till after the fact. so expect some photos.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

ok here we are to start

I just put the aluminum T-150 bell housing next to the scout cast Iron T-19 ,It is exactly 3 inches deeper the T-150 is 6.5 fron the flat to the bottom of the bell (on concrete with a tape line, no granite and depth mic's at home) the T-19 is 9.5. so unless there is an adapter kit, I'm guessing we may have to cut and re-spline the input. by 3 inches. I may wait until the end of next week to hear from all the adapter places to see what is cheaper. even with an available machine shop thats alot to do. you'd have to put the shaft in a lathe,or saw cut the 3 inches off. Then take the shaft put it in an indexing head and rotate about 8 degrees for each spline lots of trig. Blah,blah,blah lots to do. I will take lots of pics this is not as easy as the link said, at least to do it properly and I'm a stickler for detail and factory like functionality. nah but seriously I try and do all driveline stuff properly!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you use the T 150 bell you will need a Ford T18 input shaft/gear, collar, and the adapter pilot bushing from Advance or Novak. Go to the Novak sight and read up on swapping a Ford T18 to the Jeep motor. I believe the same applies as far as the front of the T19 goes.

I purchased an oddball T18 and after a couple of weeks of trying to locate the right parts, decided to go with the Ford input, collar and adapter pilot. Super easy parts to find and swapping them out is fairly easy as well.

One thing to watch for... You might have to also change out the front main shaft bearing. Apparently there is a "thick" style and "thin" style. Just use the Ford application.

Don't bother with the chain parts stores for this. Go to the local tranny shop. Mine had the parts in stock (except for the adapter bushing which arrived in short order from Novak).

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Ditto to Jdoggmoney's advice (the others too)
You sure this a IH T-19? Mounting ears on the tranny, right? Do you need a T-19 to Dana 20 adapter? I have one in my Spare/extra/junk pile for sale.

Good luck

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe my luck

I just pulled the bellhousing off yesterday, I got the tranny and dana 20 for $250 ,I turned it in 4-low it was turning at 13.1 I'm not sure how to calculate it with the transfer case on. any body a mathmatician (if i even spelled that right). I am turning the yoke 360 degrees so I'm kinda not getting it. I guess the dana 20 could mess that up. once again I call upon the knowledge of the 4 wheel veteran.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode