Can't fix stupid O/T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Talking Can't fix stupid O/T

I wouldn't believe this if it didn't happen to me. I went to the dealer to get my jeep inspected and of course they wouldn't because of all the modifications. However I had to take a double take when I noticed that one of the items they sighted was "Use of an explosive device". It took some head scratching till I realized they were talking about my grenade shifter knob. The rube in the service center actually thought it was a live grenade! Any way I promptly when to a garage and got a modified inspection. When I showed the shop owner my failed slip he copied it and stuck it on the bulletin board so everyone could laugh. I thought it was pretty funny until my girlfreind brought up a disturbing idea after telling her the story at dinner. She said "wait a minute isn't this guy fixing peoples cars?"

Last edited by DEET; 06-02-2007 at 03:46 AM. Reason: I have sausage fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Way Outta Control

About 7 years ago I hauled a free derelict 1991 Caravan out of the St. Paul Kmart parking lot.

Over the next few summer months I proceeded to overhaul/install the engine and the transmission. I guess I had about $1000 in parts in the van. It was road worthy, so off it went to the tire shop for new tires.

When I got the van back I was shocked what was written on the invoice: "It's the ugliest car I've ever worked on..."

I went back to the shop and asked the shop why was that written in the "work needed" area? I was told by the installer that was requested by the owner of the shop. I was shocked. It was a pretty stupid thing to do.

I don't get angry very often and this wasn't one of those times, but I did get real quiet.. and pointed in my remarks. I waited three hours for the owner to come back to the shop. He thought he'd wait me out. When he came back to his shop he was very sheepish and embarrassed and then got defensive trying to justify his "joke".

He was right about the car being ugly, the paint was peeling and there were the required mid-west rust spots, but it ran like a top. I'd put a lot of work into that car. It was for my Daughter to drive back to Idaho to start college. It was the least I could do for such a great kid. When you've got as many kids as I do, you get creative in how you spend your money.

That ugly van not only got her back to Idaho, but back and forth to Wisconsin a couple of times, out to Spokane with a few trips to Salt Lake City. She not only started college with that van, but last month it finished it with her when she was awarded her BS in Architecture. She swears it won't go to Graduate school with her... we'll see. It's still sitting in the dirveway as I type this, ready to go anywhere it's needed to, and back. I guess its a lot like me... ugly but still works.

I never went back to that shop again because of the stupidity of the owner, nor have I ever recommended it to anyone else. In the last 7 years, I've done just the opposite.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Good story LEVE.
Kinda makes me proud for your daughter.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Due to where I work I could tell these stories each and every day.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Leve....you bring up a good point about ugly cars and daughters (and sons as well)

I'm a firm believer that our children's first car needs to be ugly....real ugly.

It means that they are less likely to load all their friends in it and go cruising....

It means they are less likely to want to cruise the local Sonic....

It means they are less likely to get car jacked....

It means the car is less likely to get stolen.....

Ugly is good.....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Since the new NAZI party is in power and no one has any right to privacy, you are in the 'System' as having 'Explosives' in your vehicle...

Wait until some computer kicks that out, then you will have some explaining to do!

I took my vehicle in for tires with the back seat full of rifles, and while I was waiting I decided to walk over to my insurance agent's office.
While going around the building I ran into the employees having a smoke break and talking about the 'Gun Nut' with a back seat full of 'Assault Weapons'...

I'm assuming I was the 'Gun Nut' with the 'Assault Weapons' since the only other customer there was a guy that must have been in his 90's...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Addict

[QUOTE=Junk Yard Genius;1506508]

I took my vehicle in for tires with the back seat full of rifles, and while I was waiting I decided to walk over to my insurance agent's office.
While going around the building I ran into the employees having a smoke break and talking about the 'Gun Nut' with a back seat full of 'Assault Weapons'...
QUOTE]

ill leave the politics out of this....but on those FEW occasions when i cant do the work myself and have to bring a vehicle to be serviced, NOTHING of value is in the vehicle, not even a CD... sure as hell not firearms.....

i dont know the laws in JYGs' corner of the universe, but i know i'd feel responsible if some underpaid grease monkey stole the guns outta my car and went off and killed somebody with one of 'em

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

****UPDATE**** Well JYG was right!!! Just got back from the local impound yard where they took my jeep after hauling me in for eight hours of questioning while they searched my property. I am in the system. What a crock of baloney. I think it was Ben Franklin who said "any man who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves niether". The reason they gave me was they had an official report that I was sighted trafficking explosives. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened today.

Last edited by DEET; 06-03-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Had to censor myself
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would be ROFLMAO except for the fact that those idiots that hauled you in are supposedly supposed to be "protecting" all of us. I find it very disheartning to hear they are THAT stupid to think a shifter knob is some form of "truck bomb".

All the HYPERBULLCRAP about protecting us from terrorists and foriegners trying to kill us with virus's or other WMD's (you know, like the ones they couldnt find in a backwards country like iraq) and they cant stop one guy, with a rare form of TB, from globe trotting and most likely spreading it all over. Of all things he needs to be strung up as a terrorist for avoiding the authorities in the first place when HE KNEW he wasnt supposed to be flying. It's losers like that, that WILL bring an end to the human species.

Personaly, I would contact an attorney (even though I despise them) and see if you can't sue the dealership for causing you the headache and greif and probable loss time, personal distress or whatever, for making such an ignorant report. I wouldnt be shocked if your name hits the papers either. Wonder what your job will think, even though you did nothing wrong?

90 XJ 4.0 lift 4 1/2", 31 x 10 1/2 MT's
First piece of advice, free,
My opinion, free,
F'n with my family, YOUR LIFE
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Is this Shifter knob an time that was made to be a shifter knob? Or a homemade item that used to be a grenade?

Not Trying to Justify either party, just Curious.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode