Fabricating a CJ-7 floor pan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Lightbulb Fabricating a CJ-7 floor pan

I'm planning to fabricate a new floor pan for my 77 CJ-7 out of mild steel diamond plate. Does anyone have a pattern, or diagram with dimensions for the holes etc... It's my daily driver, so I'll have to fab the new one before cutting the old one out, and do the swap on a weekend. (After about 3 hours of searching, I couldn't find an existing thread, so if I missed it out there, please point me in the right direction.)

Thanks, Mark

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:14 AM

Are you going to do the whole floor, or just a part of it? In any case, I don't think diamond plate is a good idea - it's too thick. It will be hard to cut, hard to bend, hard to weld, hard to weld to the existing sheet metal, and because it's so stiff, it will fatigue crack the sheet metal where they're joined.

If you're doing this for rust repair, I think you'd be much better off doing a tub swap. You can get a new CJ tub from Willys-Overland, a YJ tub off E-Bay, a fiberglass tub, or do what I did. All would be easier and give better results than a diamond plate floor. If it's rust repair you're into, there's probably other damage too, under the roll bar, in front of the door openings, in the rear crossmember . . . After a new floor, you'll only be half done.

As for patterns, I've never seen one. You'll probably have to make your own from sheets of butcher paper.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have done a lot of floor repair, and I like to first make a patern with cardboard, and then transfer that to 16 Ga metal. Prime it, weld it, and paint it, call it good.

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin18 View Post
I have done a lot of floor repair, and I like to first make a patern with cardboard, and then transfer that to 16 Ga metal. Prime it, weld it, and paint it, call it good.
...and if you still wanted the diamond-plate look, you could probably get some cheap plating to go over top of this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Lightbulb

Yeah, it might be a little extreeme on the weight, but I'd have corrosion concerns bolting aluminum to steel, and I'd rather weld the floor in. It'll be some time before I have the time and $; but better lead time leads to better plans. A friend of mine did an outstanding job fabbing a commercial quality flatbed for his work truck; and he's offered the use of his shop, to include teaching me to use the plasma cutter, brush up on my welding skills etc...

I'm planning to replace the entire floor, structure and surface, from the firewall to the tailgate. I've got some crazy ideas, but mostly just sketches and RAM (rapidly ageing memory). For instance, I'd like to take out the 2" body lift and build the cab floor 2" lower. I could keep the same high profile while adding 2" of headroom or 2" higher seats for more cargo area. I've already got my next seats, and they sit 2-3" higher than the current ones.

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Official Historian

I really doubt that will be a weekend project.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM

doing it now on a cj-5

If you have the drop off piece, where it drops from the rear to the front pan, and most of the front floor boards left in the front , buy replacements floor pans and trim them I'm not much for the replacement panels on the outside (to much trimming). If you have a signifigant amount of rust through the side of the fenderwells ,and no body mounts left or anything go ahead and shoot the body. my brothers restoring a cj-5 piece by piece ,I think there as about 60 pounds of good sheetmetal left, but believe it or not he's actually doing ok with it (he welded for the air force) I also do some body work but would not atempt a repair like that.
I have a wire a mig and stick but to do great body work you need a tig. post some pics of the bed and maybe we can see what your looking at. also I agree with the other guys diamond plate is not the direction I would go.

Last edited by tattooedchad; 06-03-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode