Ot...dont Stay At Best Western Hotels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Ot...dont Stay At Best Western Hotels

OK all here is the long and the short, do what you want!
Made reservations in January for Memorial Weekend. Payed for the room when I made the reservations.
I showed up a day later than my reservation was for only to find my room booked to someone else! BEST WESTERNs lcoal owner has a policy that if you do not show up for your room EVEN IF YOU PREPAY, they rebook your room! This means at midnight in the snow with 2 young kids I find that I have no room...I do have a recept but that didnt keep me warm! the owner did offer to charge me more money for a room upgrade though! it was eather that or stay elseware.
I called BEST WESTERN CORPRATE and they said they just own the name and the individual hotels are privatly owned and the owners can do what they want.
So be careful when you make reservations, if you show up late then you forfit your reservations and are not going to get a refund!!! So if for what ever reason you are late...Airline, Car issues, change of plans, Accident, whatever...dont plan on having a room to stay in even if you prepay!
Basicl BEST WESTERN said this...You made reservations and payed $480.00 for the stay, you were late We are keeping the $480 and if you want to stay at BEST WESTERN its going to cost you EXTRA $$ for the room upgrade, or BEST WESTERN IS KEEPING YOUR MONEY AND YOU CAN FIND A DIFFRENT HOTEL!!!

Last edited by jeepjunky; 05-31-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Sorry for your pain, but I gotta laugh when I see "Best Western" running on the banner (top of the Off-road.com page).

I had a similar problem with Holiday Inn (Craig Colorado), I lost my room but got my money back. AND I called before their "dead line" to tell them I was running late!

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Slow down and collect your thoughts.

How did you pay for the room? Credit Card? If so, you can call your credit card company and dispute the charges.

Did you pay in full for the room? How many days did you pay for? What was the room rate? If I’m reading your other thread right, you stayed at that motel a few of those days but paid extra?

Did you make the reservations and pay for the room through the Best Western (corporate) website? If you did, they are involved more than just owning a name. They are the ones that took your money and owe it back to you. They can deal with the motel owner.

Go back and check the website again. Any disclaimers, agreements, stated policies? If the owner’s policy is “unwritten” as you say, it won’t hold up. They have you at a bit of a disadvantage. You could sue in small claims court to get your money back but it’s not worth it since you’re not local.

Get everything together, dates, time and where you had to stay because they rented the room. If you paid in full for the nights, it was your room whether you chose to leave it vacant or not. I can rent a house, apartment or storage locker. As long as I pay the rent, it’s mine whether I ever move me or anything else in or not.

Given your edit note, I’d suggest using a program with a spell checker when you write to the credit card company. You missed some and misspelled is one word.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 06-01-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Way Outta Control

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Here's something I've wanted to try and haven't had what I felt was reason yet.
We've all Googled to find information, good and bad on just about any topic.

I would find that hotel's web page and then communicate your problem in some sort of internet field (such as this BBS) using the exact (full) name, address, phone numbers etc while telling of your experience.

If that particular hotel doesn't have a web page, get the particulars off of the Corporate site and do the same.

My thinking is that with so many people using google and other search engines to plan their vacations, they will likely come across your rant while searching either by that hotel name, hotels in that location, or some other oddball search. The word may get out in a big way.

As long as you tell the truth about your experience you are not slandering them. They may bully the BBS into removing the post, but probably not. You get some satisfaction that they may lose $$ because of the way they treated you and probably others.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 AM

I would check the state laws and contact the BBB. I think most states have laws regarding prepayment of services. If you pay for it.....and don't use it...that's fine.....but he can't go and re-rent the room....it's like double dipping.

And like Taz said, check all the fine print. I'm pissed just reading what happened to you. Had it been me I would have been on the phone calling the police.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

First off sorry for the poor spelling...my CPU is to old to handle the spellchek programs.
I made the reservations over the phone (the actual hotel) and payed with credit card. I have the recept that says paied in full. The recept also has all of the cancelation policies on it. However there is nothing written about them keeping my money and renting the room to someone else if I am late!!! The local hotel says its there policy. Corperate did say if I had made the reservations with them they would have some control over the matter. But sence I delt with the local hotel then they have no control.
Yes I had to pay extra to stay at the hotel (only the nights I was there) the other nights was just the cost that I paied back in January. The money I paied was not for the room I booked...It was to cover the cost of the room upgrade. And if I didnt pay the extra I was not allowed to stay in the hotel, thus losing the money I had allready paied back in January.
No I am not looking for a refund for the first night...That was my fault. But this hole extra cost thing!!!
As for any protest to remove the post, If they do that is fine. I am not (nor do I think I am being accused) lying, or fabracating any part of the story. It is what it is. I do like the blog idea, though I have never bloged or know how to.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM

A Blog is simialr to this BBS. I would edit the original post with additional info and leave it at that. It should work... try Googling your member name for the BBS... same principal.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Veteran

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and say it's your bust. There is no problem here that wouldn't have been handled by a phone call from you saying you were going to be late. Even a day late. Most hotels I've stayed at will cancel your reservation AND keep the money for the room if you don't show up or call them. It appears that in your case your room or room type was no longer available after you did show up and hence the increased charge for any stay. I do doubt they would have been able to keep the money for additional nights, regardless of their policy, but that first night and any additional charges are your bust.

If you have an appointment with someone it is plain common courtesy (and in the case of "business" good sense) to call if you are going to be late. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have bothered to do so.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I agree TO A POINT Spook...Yes I lost the money for the first night. I am fine with that. And had it been a busness meeting then yes a curtisy call would be polite.
The problem is that I made the reservations almost 5 mo ago. I didnt catch the diffrences in my schedualed arrival date and my actual arrival date. Had i noticed that there was a discrepency I would have called. But none the less I payed for a room, if I am there or not it is my room. By there policy (for example) if i rent a room show up and durring the stay I dont use the room for a night then they get to cancel your reservation and rent it to someone else. That is wrong!!!
Furthermore HAD I BEEN TOLD of this policy I would have no complantes, it would be my problem. I wasnt told of this policy untill I showed up and by then it was to late!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode