OT Your thoughts on "free roam" dogs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

OT Your thoughts on "free roam" dogs

My dog has figured out how to get in and out of the screen door when I'm not home and i'm not sure I like it. Right now I live on an island (6 miles x 12 miles) it's a pretty laid back and friendly place. We live on 4 acers of woods though she'll sometimes wander to the lake 1/8 of a mile through the woods to visit the nighbors and go for a swim. I'm pretty much in the sticks with very few neighbors that are here more then a weekend every now and then. My dog is friendly, good with other dogs, won't harm a fly, and stays pretty close. Most of the neighbors know her and she has tags on her with her adress/ phone #.

What's your thoughts on dogs that are allowed to wander? I can't decide if it's irresponsible or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not responsible.....at least not in my neck of the woods....

you dont know what your dog is doing....and more importantly what someone else may be doing to your dog.

out here when you get out in farm country, its not uncommon for people to take pop shots at "stray" dogs.

then you also run into the problem of your dog eating road kill, dead fish on the bank of the lake, or licking up anti-freeze in someones garage........dog gets parasites or worse....dies...

dont let your doggy wander.....get one of those child-safety gate and put it in front of your screen door. it will prevent the dog from going through the door when you arent there, but wont force you to shut the door if you dont want too

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with Greg. You should not let your dog wander free. There are too

many things that can go wrong. It is a pet owners responsibility to keep their

pet safe. I have a Jack Russel that opens the back door whenever he wants

out. He can't get back in though. I think it has to do with the whole opposable

thumb thing. The good thing is that our entire backyard is enclosed with a

privacy fence. Fortunately he has not figured out that the screen door in the

front is exactly the same as the one in the back.

David

Cymru Am Byth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Be responsible and take care of YOUR dog. If your dog has figured out how to get out, fix the situation. Hopefully you are just a tad smarter then him.

Around here, if I catch a stray that I know on my property once i'll go to the owner, if I catch them again, I call the cops. Don't need a dog driving my dogs crazy, just because they don't know how to keep them inside.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH
Iron In The Pines
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have had ruined shrubbery, garden plants, and flowers because of 'free roam" dogs using them for a fire hydrant. Keep them up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

Well I don't want to sound like that jerk down the road but, If you live in town or city then yes the dog needs to be locked up in the yard. If you live in the country like I do then I would have to disagree. My nearest neighbors are about 1/8 mile away and they let their dogs free roam. The dogs are only as good as the people that take care of them. I have two Great Danes and a Mastif. My dogs get plenty of attention at home and usualy stay close to home and if they do go out roaming, it's usually on the seven hundred acres behind the house that my father inlaw ownes. My dogs know not to go out in the highway so it is safe for the walker buys and they know not to bother the police or power trucks that come through. It takes time but you can have a good free roam dog!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

I live in the sticks, the nearest "town" is 20 min. away, I can see 2 of my neighbors but 1 is here once a year and 1 is here every now and then and doesn't mind my dog "visiting". My dog is pretty good about poopin in the woods and not in the middle of the yard if she has the choice. I can lock the screen door and keep her inside but some days i'm at work for 12+ hours.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Don't ask us, ask your neighbors and see what they think...
If they want you to put the brakes on 'Spot', then do it.

Around here, collar or tags or not, 'Free Range' means 'Open Season' on dogs...
Livestock issues and other things come into play, and not everybody has a friendly dog with it's shots...

I've had to shoot my way out of the vehicle or barn or protect feed lot farm stock more than once because of 'Neighbors' that let their dogs run, supposedly wouldn't hurt a fly, but when they get into packs, things change quickly...

Large animal hunting breeds, like dobermans, some shepards, rotwilers will 'Pack Up' with as few as two animals and start killing stock or even kids.

Working dogs and small animal hunting dogs, labs, collies, terriers, ect. will run the fat off sale stock, even though they don't normally kill larger critters.

Guys that raise turkeys, chickens, rabbits, goats, ect. hate ALL dogs that 'Pack Up'...
----------------

The bottom line is, if your neighbors don't mind, then it's OK.
If they hesitate, I'd look into 'Fencing' (inviable fencing, physical fencing, dog runs, ect...).

We used 'Dog Runs' for our traveling hounds...
An overhead cable with a pulley on it, and about 30 feet of rope off of it.
Gave them a 60 ft. wide by 50 yard long run between buildings...

Just make sure you run the cable where there is nothing for the rope to get hung up on... Or 'Fido' will be stuck there all day...

Last edited by Junk Yard Genius; 06-01-2007 at 06:57 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

oh yea....i forgot to ask....

has your dog been spayed?

neighbors have a big male chocolate lab that roams (and almost gets hit by cars almost daily) and he knocked up the neighbors female dog (some sort of husky type dog) that they keep tied out in the yard

the puppies are cute, but they werent exactly welcome with the female dogs owner.

spay and neuter your pets......and occasionally their owners....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM

IMO dogs are meant to run outdoors. Some breeds aren't suited to it, by temprement or physical attributes, but dogs that want to roam should be allowed to.

Except for local laws and all of the items that Aaron and Greg mentioned.

Yes, there are dangers that could shorten their life, but a long miserable life in prison for a free-spirited animal isn't much of a deal either.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode