Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Horn beeps on sharp turns? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/225101-horn-beeps-sharp-turns.html)

darkship 05-31-2007 02:19 PM

Horn beeps on sharp turns?

77 CJ7 horn beeps when steering wheel is turned for a sharp corner. I just re-wired it, but did nothing inside the steering column. What parts would short out the horn contact to cause this? It's kind of funny the first few times, but I think it'll get annoying in a few days...

I just look around, like everyone else, to see who the idiot beeping his horn is. Ahhh tourist season.

Dan

Dirt Dog 05-31-2007 08:55 PM

What exactly did you rewire? It still sounds like something in the column or wheel/horn adapter.

darkship 06-01-2007 12:18 PM

Extent of rewire

I rewired everything but the GM style steering column.

The plugs to connect to the ignition and signals connections on a GM steering column are supplied with the EZ Wiring kit. The wires are all clearly identified (in English) printed about a foot apart on each wire. A new fuse panel (spade type vs. glass bus type).

I soldered all splices I made on the new harness, and I've tried to properly ground everything that uses electricity on it. As I've come to see from searching the forum, "If it don't work, ground it!" works more often than not to solve many problems on these old Jeeps.

I thought I read somewhere, in another thread here, that someone else had a similar problem and it was something simple in the column. For the life of me, I can't find it again...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Raduckal 06-01-2007 04:34 PM

Some of my "Pals" once clipped a piece of metal to the hot side of my horn, so when I hit the brake or a hard bump the horn would sound. I found it around the steering column.

Jim_Lou 06-01-2007 06:11 PM

The horn mechanism is two brass disks that turn with the wheel. There's a spring-loaded brass brush that rides on the under side of the lower one, carrying current that far. The upper disk is attached to the horn button and grounded. When the button is pressed it pushes the two disks together completing the circuit to ground.

The button and lower disk are insulated from ground by plastic pieces. With age they deteriorate, crack and break apart. When that happens the contacts occasionally touch, blowing the horn.

It's an easy fix. You just take the mechanism apart and replace the plastic pieces, which you can get from a chain parts house. The good news is that they're all above the steering wheel, so you don't even have to remove it. Except that maybe the piece that insulates the brush has to be replaced from beneath the wheel, but I don't think so.

darkship 06-01-2007 07:30 PM

Thanks Raduckal and Leve

I'll look up the parts online and replace yet another 30 year old part...
Kinda hard to complain, got it for free from my brother for my son, AND they're 30 year old parts!

Dan

darkship 06-03-2007 07:38 PM

Did light just dawn on marble head?

I think I see it now. Does the contact pin and spring fit into the turn signal canceling cam? Looking into the hole in the steering wheel the plastic looks kind of deteriorated (actually almost nonexistent). Would that possibly cause the horn circuit to short out and beep the horn as the canceling cam passes the turn signal contact?

I guess I've gotta take it apart to find out...

Gotta borrow a gear puller from the machine shop at work.