Project YJ7 Done!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Talking Project YJ7 Done!!

It's been "done" for about ten days. My CJ7 tub was very rusty and unsafe. My CJ frame was also rusty and slightly bent at the driver's side rear. I found a YJ tub that had some slight damage but was remarkably clean otherwise. I drove about five hours to get the tub and ended up taking the frame too, along with all the odds and ends left in the tub.

I cleaned the underside of the tub and coated it with POR 15 and hammerite prior to sending it to paint.

While the tub was being repaired and painted, I cleaned the frame, coated it with POR 15 and Hammerite paint. I also added to the stock YJ roll bar, resulting in a six pint cage.

I only kept the old dash, hood, and grill which were blasted, straightened, and painted along with the YJ tub, and new fenders and windshield frame.

I think I got the tub and body panels back sometime in early March and have been wrenching hard since. The inside of the tub and entire roll cage are coated in SEM brand spray on bed liner. The dash bar for the cage interfered with the steering column and had to be moved up some, then the liner had to be patched. Oh yeah, the YJ steering column mount bracket is different than the CJ one.

If you think swapping a CJ drivetrain into a YJ frame shoudl be simple... well, lets just say it's not as straight forward as it sounds. I came across a few hurdles... some larger than others.

The front grill mount for the YJ is higher than the CJ mount. One could cut the entire mount out and lower it between the frame, but I chose to install a body lift so that the fenders would line up with the tub. About 1.25 to 1.5inches of body lift.

My rather new heavy duty CJ radiator would not fit. The steering gear mounts much higher on the frame for the YJ, making it impossible to use the CJ style radiator. I ended up buying a new YJ radiator, but then still had to fabricate bracketry to mount it into the CJ grill.

I had planned on using the YJ motor mounts for my 4.2. All of the engine bracketry happened to be in the tub along with several other misc parts. I run a dual outlet Headman header on my 4.2 making it impossible to use the YJ driver's side mount. I got lucky on my first attempt to fabricate a mount and used the CJ style motor mount for that side.

I bought all new manual clutch linkage. For some reason this didn't fit either. Although the YJ tub seemed to be drilled for the pivot shaft, when installed the shaft was too short to reach the tranny mounted ball ended. I had to cut the pivot shaft and add one inch to it's length. I also ended up spacing the bracket for the pivot shaft away from the tub 1 inch to help keep things lined up nice and straight.

Because the steering gear mounts so high on the frame, I now have a considerable amount of angle in my drag link, even with a 4 inch drop pitman. I'm gonna put up with it for this summer, but will have to figure out a high steer next winter.

I installed round LED lights in the rear of the tub and came up with some nice fabbed mounts that allow me to install 4.5 inch LED lights in the front as well, without cutting the grill and using the factory CJ lenses. Next, I figured what the heck and got LED's for the side markers too. Picked everything up from the local truck stop. I don't think the guys who only swap in rear LED's have this problem, but I had one heck of a time finding a flasher that would work. Finally, I found a place on Ebay that some reverse polarity LED's for the marker lights (part of the problem), and special LED flashers. Google also helped me locate another flasher source. One thing to consider... along with the overall content of JP Magazine going down hill... that guy they have giving electrical advice that looks like a moron... IS A MORON. He owes me $11.00 for the first flasher I bought because his little "tech" article said all I needed was one of those little electronic flashers. I should have known better. Anyway, long story short, I was able to make one flasher work to get my turn sginals to flash, and the special LED flasher runs my hazzards, but I can't swap then around and have found nothing else that will work in any other configuration. Oh yeah... I have about $58.00 wrapped up in these two flashers.

Somehow I had to have my rear driveshaft lengthened an inch and the front shortened an inch. Get this, they are now within about and inch of each other in length. Who would have thought that on a Jeep? Oh well, if I twist the rear, I can use the front to get out if necesary.

I got rid of the hop stop bar and welded on some 7 inch spring perches for the rear. Seem to be managing the wheel hop so far.

I somewhat customized the dash by adding an air gauge, temp gauge, and replacing the clock with a fuel gauge.

The front seat are new from Collin's brothers. The rear is a fold and tumble out of a YJ with a new Bestop cover. These covers are the way to go here... very impressed with the fit and finish.

I was able to make my rear bumper and tire carrier fit, but fabbed up a new front bumper... keeping it simple. I also fabbed the rocker guards. They are 3/16 plate bent 90 degrees with 2" tube quartered and welded at the corner. The steps are on inch tube with what is left of the YJ Islander step pads for tread.

I now have three point seat belts at all four corners.

All my OBA valving and the pressure switch is mounted unde the dash and the 2.5 gal nail gun tank fit snugly under the rear of the tub. I ran line to the front for one air chuck. It's already come in handy a couple of times.

I kept my Mud Rovers, but ordered up some Dick Cepek DC-1's in black. Thye were backordered and I went through a couple dasy of he!! trying to get them mounted... but it was worth it!

I am sure there are many "technicalities" that I have missed, but enough with me complaining... how about some pics! The first one is my little guy enjoying the new ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jalen new Jeep.jpg (148.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg New jeep left.jpg (128.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg New Jeep front.jpg (132.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg New Jeep rear.jpg (124.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg New Jeep interior.jpg (139.6 KB, 9 views)

Is this the only hammer you've got?

Last edited by jdoggmoney; 05-31-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Very nice, clean looking Jeep.
Well done!

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Way Outta Control

...there's nothing like a "new" Jeep sittin' in your driveway that you built yourself. Ya gotta love it! It's looking good and will perform as well; you've got the best of both worlds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Great looking Jeep!!! You're making the rest of us enviou s.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

Sweet! Awesome job. Congrats on the great looking project.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Official Historian

Very nice jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoggmoney View Post
I bought all new manual clutch linkage. For some reason this didn't fit either. Although the YJ tub seemed to be drilled for the pivot shaft, when installed the shaft was too short to reach the tranny mounted ball ended. I had to cut the pivot shaft and add one inch to it's length. I also ended up spacing the bracket for the pivot shaft away from the tub 1 inch to help keep things lined up nice and straight.
Do you think it is the body lift that caused you to add the same amount to the clutch linkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoggmoney View Post
Somehow I had to have my rear driveshaft lengthened an inch and the front shortened an inch. Get this, they are now within about and inch of each other in length. Who would have thought that on a Jeep?
Definitely not mine. My rear is 17-1/2" long and the front is 40" long.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
chocolatetoothpaste

WOW! I am jealous. That looks fantastic! I am trying to hunt down a cj grill and cj7 hood so I can put them on my yj. I want to repaint mine with 1-step industrial paint, so hopefully I can find the parts before then. If anyone has a line on either of these, let me know!

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to install a cj dash too! Unless there is an easier way to do a cj dash in a yj?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That looks good enough to win a trophy or two

looks like you did some great work and paid lots of attention to details

looks like you have a jeeper neighbor too....did you solicit his/her help at all ?

I am jealous.....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Very NICE! You should be proud.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm loving it, although my garage is trashed because it seems as though once I saw the end of the road I forgot how to put tools away and clean up at night.

Yes, my neighbor is a Jeeper and fellow cop. Both are abundant in my neighborhood! The white CJ with the car cover on it is powered by an LT98 TPI small block, SM420, Dana300, with a detroit locked rear nine inch and limited slip front 30. A very nice rig! We often swap info, tips, and tools.

I actually could have put it into a local car/Jeep show last Saturday, but spent the morning with my father putting the final touches on it, including it's first coat of wax in preparation for wheeling all day Sunday.

We got to the car show late, but had many "lookers" and positive comments. Most gasped when they heard my answer to "You're not taking that into the river are you?"

It's built to be used for more than making obnoxious tire noise on asphalt!

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode