Harnesses... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Harnesses...

Well, after my wreck, my Dad said that I had to put either 5 or 6 point harnesses on at least the front seats, so I have a few questions. (1) Should I get 5 or 6 point harnesses? (2) Where/how should I mount them? (3) What is the best brand/style to get?

Thanks y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

1) 5 pt is plenty
2) to the roll cage you need to install
3) Corebeau and Master Craft are good

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
1) 5 pt is plenty
And cheaper...
Quote:
2) to the roll cage you need to install
Where on the cage?
Quote:
3) Corebeau and Master Craft are good
Sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
nozzleram

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSpeedWrangler View Post
Where on the cage?
When he says on the cage he means a full frame mounted roll cage not the factory sport bars. Can't tell by your signature if you have a cage? I'd also suggest you have seat mounts as part of your roll cage. This way your seated in a safer cage of protection with everything connected together. Without the seat mounts, if the body separates from the frame in a roll or crash and your seats are attached to the body but your harness is attached to the frame mounted cage you'll likely be crushed by the harness or cage or both

For what its worth, you'll quickly grow to hate the harness, except for the lap belt. Once you strap yourself into the seat with the harness you really are pasted into the seat. It won't be easy to reach for the radio or the HVAC switches and the glove box is out of the question. Most guys with harnesses only use the shoulder straps for extreme obstacles where there is a high likelihood that they'll roll.

With Jeeps one upgrade is usually preceded by at least two other unanticipated upgrades in order to do what you wanted in the first place. That never seems to change.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzleram View Post
For what its worth, you'll quickly grow to hate the harness, except for the lap belt. Once you strap yourself into the seat with the harness you really are pasted into the seat. It won't be easy to reach for the radio or the HVAC switches and the glove box is out of the question. Most guys with harnesses only use the shoulder straps for extreme obstacles where there is a high likelihood that they'll roll.
I second that statement. Is your intended purpose on-road or off-road protection?

While I have harnesses in my jeep, I would not recommend the harness for on-road protection. You will quickly learn that the harness is too restrictive when it is used in a mode that provides adequate protection from an accident. If you are like me, you will keep your shoulder straps loose.

There are very specific mounting instructions that will come with your harness to prevent spinal injury in the event of an accident. Harness can do more harm than good if not installed and worn properly.

Another thing to consider is that the harness may not be DOT approved in the event that you are subject to inspections or the "Click it or Ticket". I have not been ticketed, but I have only driven my Jeep 500 miles in the last 3years -- mostly all off-road.

If it is for off-road protection, then ignore my warnings. There are still installation instructions that need to be followed.

I recommend a 5pt, quick latch style. I have the old style and it is a pain to get into and sometimes out of.

-- Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Journeyman

I've got a 4 point harnes that works great. Ensure you get a seat made for a harnes though, so it routes the belts properly across your torso. My Hunsaker racing seats can be used with a 4 or 5 point harnes, but I haven't seen this brand in any of the Jeep catalogs. (It also dries out quickly when rained on)

BTW, I intentionally sought out an older (pre 80) Jeep so I wouldn't have to wear a shoulder belt on road. Like Nozzleram said, you'll be lucky to reach the radio, or dash with a 4 point harnes on, and you can forget about adjusting the mirrors.

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a rollcage, yet. I was thinking of just adding a bar behind the front seats that is at the height for the harnesses and just weld it to the existing rollcage. Would that work?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Adding a bar to mount the harnesses will work for now. I do believe harnesses are technicall illegal on road because they arn't DOT certified. Having a harness in a DD and actually wearing all 4 or 5 points would get old real quick. I usually wear only my lap belt when I have harnesses unless i'm doing something stupid. Unless you have an aftermarket seat your not going to be able to use the crotch strap and the should straps may be pretty uncomfortable and hard to mount.

Keep your factory belts your going to want that option/ need it legally if you get a picky cop. It's also a pain showing everyone how to use the harnesses though it is nice if you have a good looking passanger...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode