TJ Windshields - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

TJ Windshields

I just noticed today that the windshield on the TJ was chipped in the wreck on Firday, most likely by a branch from the tree I landed next to. Anyways, this is like the 5th chip in is, so I am going to replace it. What kind of glass is the most durable off-road, or should I skip the glass and go for something different like Lexan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i think the only thing thats street legal is the DOT glass.....speed glass and plexi and lexan and all those would not be street legal that i know of.

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Like Greg said...use DOT glass.

In reality you would not want to use anything but glass. While it sounds good to have something that won't break, because it is plastic, it will scratch. Look at the plastic headlight lenses on cars...they look fine the first year, but after awhile they get that smoky look to them. Do you think you really want to be looking at the road through that?

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Like Greg said...use DOT glass.

In reality you would not want to use anything but glass. While it sounds good to have something that won't break, because it is plastic, it will scratch. Look at the plastic headlight lenses on cars...they look fine the first year, but after awhile they get that smoky look to them. Do you think you really want to be looking at the road through that?
I forgot about scratching plastics. I worked at a local carwash for two-plus years, and I did many headlight restorations, and they are not fun at all.

Are there some types/brands of glass that are better than the others?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 PM
chocolatetoothpaste

One thing I learned about windshields is they play a significant role in the structural integrity of your auto. Even a cracked windshield can compromise your safety in a wreck. I imagine this is especially true in newer vehicles, like a TJ for example. Just my couple of cents.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For the most part, glass is glass. About the only difference is fit. PPG is one brand that is made in the US. Call glass shops and see what they say.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatetoothpaste View Post
One thing I learned about windshields is they play a significant role in the structural integrity of your auto. Even a cracked windshield can compromise your safety in a wreck. I imagine this is especially true in newer vehicles, like a TJ for example.

Have you seen what happens to a CJ/YJ/TJ windshield & frame in a light roll over? The ONLY thing other than keeping the rain out of your eyes they're good for is folding over your head/hands to pin/pinch (them off) YOU against the steering wheel & dash!

That's why folks invented those rollcage things... Couldn't triangulate a chunk of windshield glass to hold itself up, much less the Jeep!

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Dave View Post
The ONLY thing other than keeping the rain out of your eyes they're good for is folding over your head/hands to pin/pinch (them off) YOU against the steering wheel & dash!
They're also good for keeping big nasty tasting bugs out of your mouth
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Way Outta Control

It has another purpose too - it keeps the wipers from hitting you in the face.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Way Outta Control

Get used to replacing windshields.

Jeep windhields, if their not cracked or rock chipped; they will be sandblasted by particals on the road.

There are many places where you can get the glass replaced, from dealers to Junkyards. All those prices will vary, so be prepared to make a few phone calls.

You can buy the glass and learn to install it, saving the install costs You can have others install it, who you don't buy it from.. or you can have one shop do it all. You can spend your money any why you wish.

On my Jeep, I have someone else do the job. It's one of the few jobs on a Jeep I won't do myself. Just ask Dirtdog about my fiscaco with my Caravan's windshield repair last year. It was more'n a hoot. I was a disaster waiting to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode