Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   TJ Windshields (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/225059-tj-windshields.html)

FiveSpeedWrangler 05-29-2007 01:57 PM

TJ Windshields

I just noticed today that the windshield on the TJ was chipped in the wreck on Firday, most likely by a branch from the tree I landed next to. Anyways, this is like the 5th chip in is, so I am going to replace it. What kind of glass is the most durable off-road, or should I skip the glass and go for something different like Lexan?

JeepnGreg 05-29-2007 02:44 PM

i think the only thing thats street legal is the DOT glass.....speed glass and plexi and lexan and all those would not be street legal that i know of.

JeepDawg 05-29-2007 04:05 PM

Like Greg said...use DOT glass.

In reality you would not want to use anything but glass. While it sounds good to have something that won't break, because it is plastic, it will scratch. Look at the plastic headlight lenses on cars...they look fine the first year, but after awhile they get that smoky look to them. Do you think you really want to be looking at the road through that?

FiveSpeedWrangler 05-29-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepDawg (Post 1506096)
Like Greg said...use DOT glass.

In reality you would not want to use anything but glass. While it sounds good to have something that won't break, because it is plastic, it will scratch. Look at the plastic headlight lenses on cars...they look fine the first year, but after awhile they get that smoky look to them. Do you think you really want to be looking at the road through that?

I forgot about scratching plastics. I worked at a local carwash for two-plus years, and I did many headlight restorations, and they are not fun at all.

Are there some types/brands of glass that are better than the others?

chocolatetoothpaste 05-29-2007 04:21 PM

One thing I learned about windshields is they play a significant role in the structural integrity of your auto. Even a cracked windshield can compromise your safety in a wreck. I imagine this is especially true in newer vehicles, like a TJ for example. Just my couple of cents.

JeepDawg 05-29-2007 04:31 PM

For the most part, glass is glass. About the only difference is fit. PPG is one brand that is made in the US. Call glass shops and see what they say.

Caver Dave 05-29-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolatetoothpaste (Post 1506099)
One thing I learned about windshields is they play a significant role in the structural integrity of your auto. Even a cracked windshield can compromise your safety in a wreck. I imagine this is especially true in newer vehicles, like a TJ for example.

Have you seen what happens to a CJ/YJ/TJ windshield & frame in a light roll over? The ONLY thing other than keeping the rain out of your eyes they're good for is folding over your head/hands to pin/pinch (them off) YOU against the steering wheel & dash!

That's why folks invented those rollcage things... Couldn't triangulate a chunk of windshield glass to hold itself up, much less the Jeep! :D

DEET 06-02-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caver Dave (Post 1506115)
The ONLY thing other than keeping the rain out of your eyes they're good for is folding over your head/hands to pin/pinch (them off) YOU against the steering wheel & dash!

They're also good for keeping big nasty tasting bugs out of your mouth:D

RRich 06-02-2007 04:39 AM

It has another purpose too - it keeps the wipers from hitting you in the face.

LEVE 06-02-2007 08:31 AM

Get used to replacing windshields.

Jeep windhields, if their not cracked or rock chipped; they will be sandblasted by particals on the road.

There are many places where you can get the glass replaced, from dealers to Junkyards. All those prices will vary, so be prepared to make a few phone calls.

You can buy the glass and learn to install it, saving the install costs You can have others install it, who you don't buy it from.. or you can have one shop do it all. You can spend your money any why you wish.

On my Jeep, I have someone else do the job. It's one of the few jobs on a Jeep I won't do myself. Just ask Dirtdog about my fiscaco with my Caravan's windshield repair last year. It was more'n a hoot. I was a disaster waiting to happen.