1980 CJ7 Smog Parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 AM
OldSkull

1980 CJ7 Smog Parts

Hello,

I'm new to Jeepin, I just bought a CJ7 yesterday from Nevada and I need to get it smogged in California. (Already took it out fourwheelin') I looked most of the evening looking for some help in what I need to get it smogged. I think I need a smog pump and catalytic converter. Does anyone know what is required in California or where I can look. I don't want to act like afool and go to the smog referee and get tagged as a gross polluter or something like that.

I have a 1980 CJ7 Larado with a 304 and a T176 4 speed.

Any pointers will help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Way Outta Control

Don't go to a Referee - go to any regular smog station and ASK them what it requires.
If you ask them to test it, it'll go into the State computer.
If you ask them to TELL you what it needs they can TELL you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My 84 did not have a smog pump...it used and 'air induction' system.

You may need to find a junked 80 as a donor. At this point I'm going to say...good luck!..

There is a lot more I can tell you....but lets wait and see what kind of shape you are in first.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
chocolatetoothpaste

Try this stuff. Worked on my '67 VW Beetle. It stopped smoking after less than a tank of this stuff.

Edit: I just checked the domain and it is down. Try it in a day or so.

Last edited by chocolatetoothpaste; 05-29-2007 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatetoothpaste View Post
Try this stuff. Worked on my '67 VW Beetle. It stopped smoking after less than a tank of this stuff.

Edit: I just checked the domain and it is down. Try it in a day or so.
And just what does this post have to do with passing a visual inspection to make sure all the smog equipment is present?

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Way Outta Control

The interesting thing about California smog laws is everything has to be on it that it ORIGINALLY came with. If that means the state in which it was first sold was a state that required something different than what California requires, it's smogged with that original equipment.

You could have 7 or 8 similar Jeeps all lined up in a row - maybe even more, all with different smog equipment, and all passed fine!

The under hood label tells what it came with originally.
Sometimes the label is missing, so I think they go by the last place it was registered. They did when I was licensed, but things change.

Don't try to outguess what the complicated rules are, and don't go by what folks here say - VISIT A SMOG STATION (not a referee station) they can look it up and tell you what it needs to pass.
You may be fine the way it is.

To Pass you have to have all the required (original) equipment in place and working - visual and functional tests check it - AND you have to pass the sniff test - actual tailpipe emissions.

Depending on where your residence is, you may, or may not, have to test it on the dyno. But it still has to pass the high and low speed tests. The dyno just puts it under a light load.

A little trick - just before you go in to get it smogged, fill it with FRESH gas. The additives evaporate within 2 weeks, so make sure at least 3/4 tank is fresh.
AND - dump a pint of DENATURED ALCOHOL (not Jack Daniels - that's for you) in the tank - available at any hardware store - by the paint and laquer thinners - $1.50. It's the same stuff they sell as "Guaranteed to Pass" for $10, a can.
It's a good idea once in a while anyway - it absorbs the water and varnish deposits in the tank. It will lower the emissions if it's marginal.

You can't go to a Referee anyway until you FAIL!

Don't be afraid, you'll be fine. The most they can keep you is 20 years in prison - Say Hi to Guido - but don't do it in the showers!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM
chocolatetoothpaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
And just what does this post have to do with passing a visual inspection to make sure all the smog equipment is present?
Well, the visiual test nothing, but if you don't pass the smog test, give this stuff a try!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Way Outta Control

At any discount chain, like AutoChina - there's a whole wall of stuff that claims to reduce emissions.
And like in this case, lots more on the internet.

I've always wondered - if you added all that stuff at once - will your car actually clean the air as it's driven?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
chocolatetoothpaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
At any discount chain, like AutoChina - there's a whole wall of stuff that claims to reduce emissions.
And like in this case, lots more on the internet.

I've always wondered - if you added all that stuff at once - will your car actually clean the air as it's driven?
Maybe, but that would be an expensive way to clean the environment!

My friend had an old ford truck that didn't pass emissions here in Salt Lake. He dumped an entire bottle of Empruv in his tank (which is way more than the recommended amount), and he passed when he had it tested again.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

I use the EMPRUV additive in everything I have including the lawn mower. Works for me. If you're having trouble passing the tests it might help, but if the parts have to be there it obviously won't make them magically appear.

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 63-CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode