O/T: Jeep wreck... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

O/T: Jeep wreck...

Well, I was coming home from my girlfriend's house tonight and I was on a two-lane highway between Holly Springs and Apex. There was a Suburban coming in the other lane about 100 yards in front of me when some [email protected]$$ in a lowered S-10 tried to pass him on a double yellow. I was doing about 55, and he was coming up quick and determined to pass the Suburban even if it meant a head-on collision with me. I slammed the brakes and veered off to what I thought was a flat shoulder, but I was wrong. I hit a big hole at about 30 and it sent me into the ditch. The S-10 and Suburban drove off like nothing happened. Luckily, it has been so dry here that I was able to get out of it in 4LO without getting stuck. If it had been wet, I'd have been screwed. Even better is that the only thing damaged was my Univ. of Tennessee plate on the bumper and a sway bar quick release clip. Unfortunately, my back and knee are acting up again since I had the doors and top off and, even while wearing a seatbelt, I was thrown out when I hit the ditch. I barely made it home since my back was/is so trashed; I can't even get in bed, so tonight will be fun, along with work tomorrow morning.

Oh well, the Jeep survived another day of life with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Ya gotta be careful about that in a Jeep. In the dark you look like you’re about 2-3 times as far away as you are because of your headlights being so close together.

Now, how hard can a lowered S-10 be to find?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Taz View Post

Now, how hard can a lowered S-10 be to find?
Around here...there is one at about every stop light....

Sounds like there was no damage to the Jeep. The Tenn Vol tag don't count, cuz you really didn't want that on there anyway...

Go Gators!

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
even while wearing a seatbelt, I was thrown out when I hit the ditch.
John, I'm please you came out of this as healthy as you did. What concerns me more than the wreck is those seatbelts. You could have rolled that Jeep and had it squash ya like a bug. Not a good thing.

Have you figured out why the seatbelt failed to keep you in the seats? Now you've got me thinking about 5 point belts.

IMHO, seatbelt failure is not an option I want on my Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
John, I'm please you came out of this as healthy as you did. What concerns me more than the wreck is those seatbelts. You could have rolled that Jeep and had it squash ya like a bug. Not a good thing.

Have you figured out why the seatbelt failed to keep you in the seats? Now you've got me thinking about 5 point belts.

IMHO, seatbelt failure is not an option I want on my Jeep.

x2 on the seatbelts

i really want to know how and why they failed. did the fabric split? or did the buckle release? or something else?

glad to hear you are at least in one piece, could have been a lot worse.

next time let the lowered s-10 do a head on with the suburban.....better them than you

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
Around here...there is one at about every stop light....
I know. There are sooooo many ricers out here, especially here in SW Wake County, and they all think that they rule the road, even when my Jeep or Ram owns them at the stoplight.

As for the seatbelts, nothing failed on the Jeep's part. What happened was I had the adjuster on the highest setting and when I hit the hole, I came out from under the shoulder belt (I'm 5'11", but I only weigh 135). When I hit the ditch, my lap belt got slack in it and I came out (my Dad, too, is looking at 5-points). I have since put the belt on the lowest setting and that feels a lot better for me. I also put the doors back on. I still feel like crap, though. I couldn't get upstairs to my bedroom last night, so I just slept on the couch. That didn't work out too well... I've got a doctor's appointment on Monday, so I'll see what's wrong with me then.

Actually, it was either me hit the Suburban head-on, me hit the S-10 head-on, or run off-road. I chose the third one...

Last edited by FiveSpeedWrangler; 05-27-2007 at 04:29 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
[my lap belt got slack in it and out I came. I have since put the belt on the lowest setting and that feels a lot better for me.
What do you mean...
Quote:
since put the belt on the lowest setting
If your belt gave slack, the velocity trip is not working... Replace the belt and retractor assembly NOW! Do it before you get a better test.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
What do you mean...
Basically, the shoulder adjuster on the roll cage was on the highest setting. This is what I am talking about:
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Way Outta Control

I hate those things....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I know. Mine was in the highest setting, so that's why I came out from under it. When I hit, the retractor didn't lock, so the lap belt got slack in it. I think I am going to skip the new retractor and just pony up for racing harnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode