thanks

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Journeyman

[QUOTE=JeepnGreg;1505694]anyone ever do it?

how much was it?

what company did you use?

how did you package it?

price depends on how far the ride is!!!!

we use Yellow Freight, CCX, USF Dugan any freight company (you will have to drain the fluids)

Set the motor on a pellet with a old tire under the oil pan wire it to the pellet with at least 4 wires and insure it !!!! if the tire thing sounds bad build a stand for the motor to sit on!!!!!!

Tim

Why is it that after you get stuck everyone helps you out then tries to make it though the same spot???

85 CJ-7 /258/Hei/4" lift/33"x12.50 Baja claws/4.10 gears/tera-low/ F-Det, R-Spool / Lots O Goodies

03 TJ 4" lift 33" tires more mods to go !!!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Cost depends on how far it goes, and for ease of everyone it is best to have it shipped somewhere that has a forklift.
As far as packing it. I have done this once and we put it on a pallet and used wood scrap to build a kind of stand that supported it off the motor mounts and under the front of the oil pan. Then we strapped it to the pallet over the top of the motor. It was pretty solid.

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 PM

I always use Con-Way Freight (formerly CCX, CSE, and CWX; the different branches just merged under the same name) whenever I ship engines or transmissions for two reasons. One is that my Dad manages the terminal here and I can use his discount, and two, they are always very careful with their freight and always are on-time. They load it on the trucks the right way and they keep it in place the right way. I can't remember how much it cost me to ship my Ram's engine to Michigan to be bored out, but my transmission coming here from Mississippi was $70 (with my Dad's discount).

No matter what carrier you choose, make sure that it is completely drained of all fluids, even water. Otherwise if it leaks, you could be charged with the clean-up fee if crap happens (i.e.: water or coolant getting into something on the trailer that it ain't supposed to be in or oil leaking out of the trailer into the environment). You may not think so, but a quart or two of oil or a quart of water/coolant can do a whole lot of damage, I've been out on I-85 at 3:00am with my Dad before cleaning up a spill where some idiot didn't drain his tranny before shipping it. It leaked 10 quarts of ATF+4 into the trailer which got into some sodium blocks, which started a fire. That melted a 55gal. drum of acid. The acid leaked out, and that took five hours to contain and clean up, not to mention the damage to the trailer, the traffic delays, and the danger to the surrounding water supply, all because something was not properly prepared for shipment. Tie it down tightly to a good palette so it does not move. Since the motor is already drained, I usually mount it upside-down on the palette to make it more stable. Use a good, strong rope that will not break on you. After you do all of that, shrinkwrap it all together. This does two things. It prevents things like forklift blades and other freight from coming in direct contact with the tie-down ropes and motor and it prevents any leftover fluids from going too far should they drain out of the engine. Do all of this and you should be better off than the retard who just threw his on the trailer.

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by FiveSpeedWrangler; 05-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode